Students at universities often have a choice of places to live. They may choose to live in university dormitories, or they may choose to live in apartments in the community. Where would you prefer to live? Give reasons for your preference.

When I started my university career, one of the most difficult decisions was whether I should live in a university dormitory or in an apartment. In my first year I had lived in a dorm. At the beginning of the second year I moved to my own apartment. Both options have advantages but also disadvantages. From my experience I clearly prefer to live in my own apartment.

Of course, when you are new at a university and even in a new city, a dorm is the best place to live if you want to meet other students and get to know new people. Normally, a dorm advisor organizes a lot of activities (for example sport events or “get-to-getter activities”) for all students that live together. I made my best friends at the “warming party” of the semester. Another advantage of living in the dorm is that is much cheaper than an own apartment or a flat share.

On the other hand, living in an apartment is also very pleasant due to the privacy and freedom it offers. For instance, if you want to have a party with your friends or if you even just want to play loud music after a certain time, no dorm advisor will hinder you to do that. It just allows more fun. In addition to that, if you decide to live in an apartment you will be able to choose your flat mate and also the location of your new home. In a dorm, your flat mate and the location are set. Furthermore, the privacy is a huge advantage of living alone. If you need to learn or write an essay, you will not be disturbed by other students that live together with you.

Freedom, independence and privacy are very important to me wherefore I definitively prefer to live by my own. I could not imagine anymore to share my flat with someone else.