TOEFL integrated writing: is group the best approach?

The lecture talks about research conducted by a firm that used the group system to handle their work. He says that the theory stated in the passage was very different and somewhat inaccurate when compared to what happened for real.

First, some members got free rides. That is , some didn't work hard but got recognition for the nonetheless. This also indicate that people who worked hard was not given recognition they should have got. In other words, they were not given opportunity to shine. This directly contradicts what the passage indicates.

Second, Group were slow in progress. The passage says that groups are more responsive than individual because of number of people involved and there more resources. However, the speaker talks about how the form found out that groups were slower than individuals in decision making. Groups needed more time for meetings, where are necessary procedures in decision making. This was another part where experience contract with theory.

Third, influential people might emerge, and lead the group toward the glory or failure. If the influential people are going in right direction there would be no problem. But in cases where they go in the wrong direction, there in nobody that has enough influence to counter the decision made. In other words, the group might turn into the dictatorship, with the influential party as the leader, and might be less flexible in thinking. They might become one-sided, and thus fail to succeed.

Read sample essays from ETS:
http://www.testbig.com/users/toeflwritingmaster