The listening passage objected on the mandatory policy, which requires that companies should offer an option to their employees to work four day a week.
First of all, the reading passage says that shortened week would increase company profits. However, listening passage says that this would not increase company profits rather companies would have to spend much more on the new employees. For example hiring more employees and giving them training and medical benefits. The cost of things like medical facilities given to the employees would be same whether they work for four days or five. In addition to this adding more employees needs more office space and more computers. Thus, these additional costs would cut into the companies profit.
Secondly, work four day a week would not increase employment and companies might choose to ask their employees to do overtime to make up the difference because hiring more employees would be costly for them. In addition, companies would raise their expectation from the employees that they should do more work. If this happens there will be no additional jobs and the current work environment will be more unpleasant, as the professor says.
Finally, the lecture says the more free time given to the employees at home will risk to the quality of their life. For example, companies would not give promotions to those employees who work for four days a week as on management position there needs employee who work for five day a week. Further more, working four day a week will effect on the employees career and reduce their chances of getting job when the economy is down.
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement Telephones and E mail have made communication between people less personal Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion 56
- TOEFL integrated writing: Chaco housing 80
- If you could invent something new what product would you develop Use specific details to explain why this invention is needed 89
- How do movies or television influence people’s behavior? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer. 60
- The following appeared in a memorandum written by the assistant manager of a store that sells gourmet food items from various countries:“A local wine store made an interesting discovery last month: it sold more French than Italian wine on days when it pla 40
Need to polish sentences.
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 23 in 30
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 13 12
No. of Words: 271 250
No. of Characters: 1322 1200
No. of Different Words: 133 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.057 4.2
Average Word Length: 4.878 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.364 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 88 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 71 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 46 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 33 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 20.846 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 7.124 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.769 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.425 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.595 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.155 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 4 4