TOEFL Listening Pattern

TOEFL Listening Pattern

First of all, try to remember that what you listened is the answer. don't try to infer something new.

Second, [color=ff0000]first two sentence [/color] or [color=ff0000]repeated words [/color] would be "main idea question". so try to figure out the main idea as soon as possible in the first two sentence. this will help you greatly to understand the passage.

After first two sentence, there will be about 2 to 3 [color=ff0000]"detail questions"[/color] coming to you. fortunately , those "detail questions" come with some signs which will help you a lot. after you hear following words, you know the "detail questions" are coming up.

*but , however
*for example, for instance, such as, like,experiment
*question sentence (why? how ? what ?)
*only, perhaps, in fact
*compare/contrast words: more, ....er, ...est
*process words: first, second,third.....
*peopel's name
*repeated words

There would be one question for last two sentence, we call it [color=ff0000]"tail question"[/color] . so you will ask how can i know it is last two sentence. sorry,no people knows that. but don't worry. basicly, it is going to end the passage by "tone" or time schedule. if the "tone" changes or after 2-3 minutes, it is going to end the passage.

Finally,after finishing the passage, don't go answers immediately . use 5 seconds to review the passage specially last two sentence. then go to answers.

when you choose answers, don't stay in one question for a long time. there are just about 30 seconds for every one question.