practice test10-q5

Speaking topics in text

practice test10-q5

M: Jean, you look a little worried; is something wrong?
W: [upset] Actually, yeah. I’m scared the school is going to shut down our university magazine.
M: [surprised] What are you talking about?
W: The Dean told us that it costs a lot of money to publish the university magazine every month and that no one is reading it. Out of the 15,000 students we have on campus, only about 200 students read our magazine a month. It’s a big problem because if the magazine gets shut down it’s pretty much my fault. I’m the one in charge of it. The Dean says that if readership doesn’t pick up in three months the magazine is over.
M: Wow.
W: I don’t know what to do.
M: Why don’t you talk to the Dean and ask him to publish the magazine once every two months. That’ll cut the cost in ½ won’t it?
W: Hey, yeah. That sounds like a good idea; I’m sure he’ll like that. But still. I just don’t like the idea that the magazine is going to be negatively affected when I’m in charge of it. I have to do something.
M: Have you ever thought of advertising it? I mean; I know about the magazine because you told me about it. Every time I read it around campus, students who see me ask about it and where they can get a copy for themselves. Nobody knows about it.
W: That’s a wonderful idea. I’m sure if we put fliers up advertising the magazine more students will read it. I really feel that we have interesting articles students would like to read.
M: I totally agree.

Online speaking recording
Speaking category

24 in 30

Don't put too much time on introduction. Need more arguments. Try this pattern for Q5:

part 1. Briefly summarize the problem the speakers are discussing. //about 15 seconds.

part 2. Then state which of the two solutions from the conversation you would recommend. //about 15 seconds. Like: there are possibly two solutions: The first one is: blabla....the second one is: blabla...If I were the woman/man, I would choose the first/second solution.

part 3. Explain the reason for your recommendation. //(suppose the recommendation is the first solution). Even though the second solution has some advantages like: blabla(about 10 seconds), still I choose the first solution . because reason 1, blabla(about 10 seconds)...reason 2, blabla(about 10 seconds)...