TPO 15 - Question 4

Speaking topics in text

TPO 15 - Question 4

Speaking category

A sample Answer to this speaking in text:

The professor talks about experimenter effect which occurs when a researcher’s expectation affect the outcome of an experiment. In the study, researcher was asked to train two groups of monkeys. He was told that one group of monkey was smarter than the other, although they are equally intelligent. It turned out monkeys from the first group took two hours less to train on average. The reason was that the researcher expected the smarter group to be easier to train so he smiled to those monkeys and encouraged them a lot during the training. But he didn’t work as hard with the monkeys from the other group.

1. For example, I recently read about a case in which a researcher was given two groups of monkeys and he was asked to train these monkeys to pick up ball and puck it in a box.
2. And he was told to record how many hours it took to train each monkey to learn to do this.
3. Now before he started the training, the researcher was told that one group of monkeys was highly intelligent, and that the other group was less intelligent.
4. In truth, there was no difference between them.
5. All the monkeys were actually very similar in terms of intelligence.
6. But the researcher didn't know that.
7. He though one group was smarter.
8. So he expected that that group would be easier to train.
9. So what happened?
10. Well, the researcher trained the monkeys to perform the action and it turned out that on average it took him two hours less time to train the supposedly smart monkeys than these supposedly less intelligent monkeys.
11. Why?Well, it turns out that with the supposedly smart monkeys, the researcher smile them a lot, gave me a lot of encouragement, talked to them a lot, worked hard to communicate with them.
12. But with the monkeys he thought were less intelligent, he wasn't enthusiastic.
13. He didn't try quite as hard, wasn't quite as optimistic.