TPO 32 - Question 4

Speaking topics in text

TPO 32 - Question 4

Speaking category

A sample Answer to this speaking in text:

Choice-supportive bias is a phenomenon that after making a choice, people tend to remember the advantages only and forget the disadvantages of the choice. The professor uses his own life experience to illustrate this. Years ago, his friend and he went to see a house. The house had a perfect location. It was near his friend’s working place. But it was a little small. His friend wanted a bigger house. Still his friend bought the house. After a few years, when the professor and his friend talked about the decision of buying this house, his friend said it was very comfortable living in this house, coz it’s close to the working place. But his friend kind of forgot that house was small and thought the house was big enough.

1. OK, so an example of this from my own life: five or six years ago, I was helping a friend of mine decide on a house to buy.
2. He had been in the market to buy a house and he had it narrowed down to this one house that he was interested in.
3. What he really liked about this house was it had an excellent location.
4. It was in a great place that was actually in the same part of town where he was working right up the street from his job.
5. So he wouldn't have to drive far to get to work which he really liked.
6. However, the downside of this house was that it was smaller than what he was hoping to buy.
7. He wanted to buy sort of a big house and this house just wasn't that big.
8. So it was a tough decision.
9. But my friend eventually did decide to buy the house.
10. And a few years after he made the purchase, I remember, we were talking about the decision and why he decided to buy the house.
11. He told me, "well, of course, it was because of the house's location."
12. He told me how happy he was with the fact it was so close to his work, how great it was only few minutes from his job.
13. I said, "Yes, but, what about its size?Do you still think the house is kind of small?"
14. And he looked at me kind of surprised, "Small?What do you mean small?"
15. Like he didn't know what I was talking about.
16. The house's size, a couple of years after buying it, just didn't seem to be on his mind anymore.