TPO11-Q4

Speaking topics in audio
Speaking topics in text

TPO11-Q4

Outsider Art

Outsider Art is a term used to describe art that is made by people who choose to live and work outside society. The artists who produce this kind of art-Outsider Artists-work in isolation from other artists and have little or no formal artistic training. Because they do not learn conventional artistic techniques from teachers or other artists. Outsider Artists must invent their own ways of doing things. As a result of the unconventional methods that Outsider Artists often use, their work can look strange and not at all like traditional art to the observer.

Question:

Explain why Henry Darger is considered an Outsider Artist.

Speaking recording
Speaking category

My speaking text

The term outsider art is used when the artist creates his work out of the society. Henry Darger is known as outsider artist because, firstly, he lived by himself and created his paintings and drawings alone; secondly, he did not formally study Arts, kept his works private, and no one saw his paintings. Additionally, his works have characteristics of an outsider art. Darger has a problem with drawing human figures. For example, he cut out and pasted the pictures of children from newspapers and magazines in his work that is related to the story of 7 adventurous children and illustrated the trees, flowers and the other parts of the painting. In addition, despite the other educated painters’, his paintings have many details and no space is left empty in the canvas. Therefore, his works are unique and strange.