Script:Narrator: Now listen to a conversation between two students.Male student: Jenny, I heard you just got the lead role in the school play this Sunday?Female student: (Sounding proud) Y’heard right, Roger. The lead actress got a really sore throat, a

Speaking topics in text

Script:
Narrator: Now listen to a conversation between two students.

Male student: Jenny, I heard you just got the lead role in the school play this Sunday?

Female student: (Sounding proud) Y’heard right, Roger. The lead actress got a really sore throat, and she can’t use her voice. I’ve been asked to take her place. It’s a huge honor, but… I’m not sure I’ll do it.

Male student: (Surprised) But you’ve wanted to star in a play all year. Don’t you want the lead role?

Female student: I do, but my parents are coming to visit me this weekend, y’know? I really wanted to spend time with them, not just spend all my time practicing an’ being on stage.

Male student: Well, why not do both? You could practice your lines in front of them. And I bet they’d be really proud to watch you starring in the play.

Female student: Maybe you’re right. And I could invite ‘em to the cast party after the play, too. But my parents really wanted me to show them around town. If I act in the play, I’m—um—not sure I’ll have time.

Male student: Well, if you back outta the role, you’ll have more time with your parents for sure. But what’s the theater gonna do? Do they have time to find a replacement?

Female student: My friend Stacy could replace me. She’s free this weekend, and she starred in the same play last year.

Male student: Well, you better ask her soon—you wanna give her enough time to practice.

Female student:If I ask her. I really would love to be the leading lady.

Narrator: Briefly summarize the problem the speakers are discussing. Then state which of the two solutions from the conversation you would recommend. Explain the reasons foryour recommendation.

Online speaking recording
Speaking category