The students discuss two possible solutions to the man's problem. Briefly summarize the problem. Then state which of the two solutions you prefer and explain why.
1. Hey Steve, did you get that book on the Russian Revolution professor Harper wants us to read?
2. No, one of the bookstores in the campus area had it in stock.
3. They will get it in about two weeks.
4. Hmm…so what are you goona do in the meantime?
5. Remember we are going to be discussing the book starting next Tuesday.
6. Well, I was thinking of placing a rush order with a bookseller on the internet, so I'd have the book in about a day or two.
7. Yeah, but rush order delivery is expensive.
8. You could easily spend twice as much money for the book that way.
9. I know, but what choice do I have?
10. Well since we only have to read a few chapters at a time, you are welcome to share my copy for a few weeks, you know, until you can get yours at the book store.
11. You mean, you would read the chapters assigned, give the book to me, I would read those chapter then give the book back to you to read the next set of chapters, and so on?
14. But, what if I don't get the book back to you in time?
15. Wouldn't you get behind your reading?
16. Yeah, maybe, but is should work if we are careful.
- Talk about a famous person that you admire. Explain why you respect this person. (40)
- Some people think that materials printed on paper, such as books and newspapers, will one day be replaced by electronic versions of those materials. Others believe that printed materials will always be popular. Which point of view do you agree with? Expla (60)
- Talk about a country or culture that you would like to learn more about. What is the country or culture and why would you like to learn more about it? (50)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Private car should not be allowed in the city centers of large cities. Use details and examples to explain your opinion. (50)
- Your university plans to open a cafe inside the campus library. Do you think this is a good idea? Explain why or why not. (50)
- A friend of yours wants to go to university next year but cannot decide on a major field of study. What advice would you give your friend to help make this decision? (50)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Children should receive money for doing household tasks such as cleaning. Use specific examples and details to support your opinion. (50)
- Students often like to study with others in a group. What do you think are the benefits of group study? Give at least one benefit. Explain your reasons. (50)
- Some university students choose to take difficult classes even if they know they might not get a good grade in the class. Other students prefer to take easier classes in which they know they will get a good grade. Which do you prefer? Explain why. (90)
- Parents need to make sure their children lead healthy lives. What can parents do to help their children have healthy lifestyles? (66)