NGUYEN VO KHA DUYEN - MOTIVATION LETTER

NGUYEN VO KHA DUYEN - MOTIVATION LETTER

Ho Chi Minh City, April 16th, 2019.

Dear Professor Jehn-Shin Hwang

National Taiwan University of Science and Technology.

Today, I write this letter to present my interest in studying a Master course at the Department of Civil and Construction Engineering.

My name is Nguyen Vo Kha Duyen who was born in 1996, and I am Vietnamese. I entered in Can Tho University with major in Civil Engineering (Building). I had gained knowledge and experiences in the classroom, the laboratory, and in practice. I wish my next process of conquering knowledge is to become a student of the National Taiwan University of Science and Technology with Master program in Civil Engineering (Structural specialty).

Many factors have influenced my decision of pursuing a Master’s degree in the Structural aspect. Firstly, during studying period at my university, I have absorbed that Vietnam construction and building industries have become one of the most important industries in recent years, but it has not developed to desirable level because of the lack of human resources and technology. The structure is used as one of the most important in various civil engineering projects. Thus, civil engineers must study solution for columns, beams, floor, using the material for structure, calculate the condition of the component… In addition, most of the solution in my country is the combination of beams and columns which are traditional and bring many disadvantages, affect aesthetics. So it is very difficult to increase load-bearing capacity and any various types of construction on it. Therefore, I have selected Civil Engineering (Structural specialty) as a life-long goal in my life. My interest in structural engineering was sparked by topics such as solution for the floor without beams, large distance between columns, methods to improve the stability’s building. It was further cultivated when I began attending a lecture of my lecturer. I would like to further my knowledge of concepts similar to these through my graduate program of study. Besides that, smart control methods are always helpful and attractive with me although I have never got a chance to work with it, I strongly believe that if I can get it, I will research and work hard with this method by all my enthusiasm and passion. Moreover, at present the soil condition in the Mekong River Delta has changed more and more important, causing the subsidence which is becoming more common, so I realize that it is necessary to reinforce the soil and find a stable solution not only for Mekong area but also for others which are similar problems.

Secondly, during the time at Can Tho University as a student, I have gained the qualifications and work ethic necessary to be a successful graduate student. I have been looking for a good solution to better serve the quality of construction works. These characteristics are exemplified by my participation as a research assistant with Saga University for Asian collaborative lecture program in August 2017. Especially, my background has developed through Europe exchange student that was scholarship I got and spent six months in Italy and other countries; I studied structure and design subjects by Master level that was my first time I study Master subjects although I had not graduated.

Based on this opportunity I realized that I want to study Master to understand deeply and widely. Throughout the lecture has required me to extend my knowledge of structural engineering and soil mechanics. Being an active student has held me to a level of responsibility and accountability similar to what I expect to encounter in graduate school. Besides that, I have learned the necessary skills and some specialized software (Auto cad, Sap, Etabs, fusion 360, software estimation,...) at my university to apply in practice. I graduated and will receive a Bachelor degree in October 2018 with very good result (GPA 3.32/4.0), and I want to continue my study process.

A distinguished faculty, a huge environment with academic activity and the state of the research facilities in the field of Civil Engineering are the most important factors, which motivated me to choose your university. I strongly believe that your university would be an ideal place for me to pursue my graduate studies. I was born in a poor family, so I understand the hardships of life, so I need to find a new direction for the future and to help my parents. My mother's health is not good; she has a severe kidney disease, so I want to try harder to help her. I have always tried to have good results as I can. Being insatiable thirst for knowledge, willing to learn new things, hard-working, and having a good sense of responsibility, I believe that I will complete successfully the Master program in the Department of Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology. My ultimate goal is to become a university lecturer, where I can conduct research and instruct students in Structural Engineering and related subjects.

Thanks for considering the letter.

Yours faithfully,

Nguyen Vo Kha Duyen