Personal Statement

Personal Statement

I still remember the joy of holding my first math book in my hand. The name of the book is The joy of mathematics of Theoni Pappas. I had to save my breakfast money for a long time to buy it. That was the beginning of my journey on the path of mathematical research. The beauty of mathematics in every page has fascinated me. I gobbled up the book every night before going to bed. I realized that math is not abstract, it is closely related to our daily life. Gradually, I loved math more and tried to discover the wonderful world of it.

One of the luckiest things for me was meeting my secondary school math teacher. She is an experienced and enthusiastic teacher. Because of her strictness, I have learned to be careful when studying math. She taught me how to solve a math problem and gave a logical solution. Moreover, I could generalize one problem so that I can solve other similar problems. With a strong mathematical background, I decided to study at Nguyen Gia Thieu high school, which is the best school in my area. I had the opportunity to study math with experienced teachers and excellent students. The school library is where I used to be after class. I went to the school library to look for math journals for high school students every day. These books are really wonderful and helpful. It not only provided me with knowledge of mathematics but also additional exercises. I tried to find solutions for each exercise and applied the methods I learned from the teachers. Also, I talked to my teachers and friends about issues that I didn't understand or I cared about.

In 2014, I took the entrance examination to Hanoi Pedagogical University 2 and was one of the candidates who have the highest score. At the university, I really studied math in depth. I got subjects such as Algebra, Calculus, Probability and Statistic, Arithmetic, etc. I always try to study as much as possible and I finally found my passion for Linear Algebra and Abstract Algebra. One of my favorite books is Linear Algebra through examples and exercises written by Prof. Le Tuan Hoa, who is one of Vietnam's famous mathematicians. His exercises challenged me and I had to apply all the knowledge I have learned to solve them. With my efforts in study, I got Third Prize in Algebra in 23th National Mathematical Olympiad for University Students and Second Prize in Algebra in 24th National Mathematical Olympiad for University Students.

In my final year at the Hanoi Pedagogical University N02, I attended a series of commutative algebra seminars organized by Dr. Doan Trung Cuong who is working at the Institute of Mathematics -VAST. The topics of seminars made me passionate and I found myself with great interest in it. After that, I spent more time studying commutative algebra. And I had a chance to give short talks on Integral extension and Pfaffian of a skew-symmetric matrix in the seminars. With Dr. Doan Trung Cuong’s guidance, I completed a graduation thesis with the topic of Gorenstein ideals of grade 3. I really liked my project and I am keen to continue to study it.

After the graduate, I have studied as a master student of the International Master Program at the Institute of Mathematics, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, Hanoi, Vietnam. In August 2019, I was one of six Vietnam students who were received full financial support to attend a summer school on Algebraic Geometry, organized by Prof. Hyungryul Baik and Prof. Yongnam Lee at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST). This is a great opportunity for me to learn about the way we can use Algebraic and Topological methods in Geometry. For 2 weeks, I understood the fundamental concepts of algebraic and complex geometry such as Riemann surfaces and Algebraic curves. At the same time, I also learned how to study math professionally from professors from all over the world.

With the recommendation of my supervisor, I had the opportunity to meet Prof. Ha Huy Tai at the Institute of Mathematics, VAST. I told him about the accomplishments I had achieved and expressed my desire to study Ph.D. abroad. Thanks to Prof. Ha Huy Tai, I was motivated to look for opportunities to get a Ph.D. in the United States. I find that Tulane University has very good facilities, devoted teachers and a very good education. Hence, I strongly believe that your university will help me to broaden my knowledge and real experiences so that I can achieve more and more success in the future. Tulane University also has a good competitive studying environment as well as a professional working style. I think if I study at Tulane University, I will have the best chance to improve not only scientific research ability but also my English capability. This will be the first step for me to get acquaintance with developing education in the United States. Moreover, I also have the chance to explore this nice country and your traditional culture, to make more and more relationships.

My dream is to be a Mathematician and I believe that a Ph.D. degree in Mathematics will provide me the knowledge I need to achieve my goal. If I have the opportunity to study Ph.D. at Tulane University, I will strive to accomplish main tasks as finishing the entire course works required, passing the qualifying examination, trying to publish submit international conference and journal papers at my best ability. After I complete the Ph.D. degree, I will come back to Vietnam to go further in my career and contribute myself to the development of science. Besides, I hope I can devote myself to the next generation in my country.

With my current knowledge and determination, I believe that I will complete the program Ph.D. successfully.

I would like to thank you in advance for considering my application, and I am looking forward to your positive reply.