Israeli, Palestinian Leaders Recommit to Peace at Summit

07 April 2008

Israeli and Palestinian leaders tried to advance the Middle East process during talks in Jerusalem Monday. We have more from Robert Berger at our VOA bureau in the Israeli capital.

But each side accused the other of failing to keep its commitments under the internationally backed "Roadmap" peace plan. Mr. Olmert charged that the Palestinians have not done enough to crack down on militant groups, while Mr. Abbas complained about Jewish-settlement expansion.

The United States and Palestinians say Israeli plans to build hundreds of new apartments in disputed East Jerusalem and the West Bank violates the roadmap which calls for a settlement freeze.

"At the end of the day, settlements and peace are two parallel tracks. Israel cannot have settlements and peace at the same time," said negotiator Saeb Erekat, speaking for the Palestinians.

Settlement expansion and daily Palestinian rocket attacks from Gaza have soured the atmosphere, putting the goal of a peace agreement by the end of the year in doubt.