An international development organization, in response to a vitamin A deficiency among people in the impoverished nation of Tagus, has engineered a new breed of millet high in vitamin A. While seeds for this new type of millet cost more, farmers will be p

An international development organization, in response to a vitamin A deficiency among people in the impoverished nation of Tagus, has engineered a new breed of millet high in vitamin A. While seeds for this new type of millet cost more, farmers will be paid subsidies for farming the new variety of millet. Since millet is already a staple food in Tagus, people will readily adopt the new variety. To combat vitamin A deficiency, the government of Tagus should do everything it can to promote this new type of millet.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The above argument presents a recommendation of the International development organization of Tagus in which they offered their views about introduction of new millet seeds to enhance the vitamin A content in the citizens. They decided to encourage the farmers for the production of new seeds by providing them the subsidies. Since millet is already readily acceptable by the public, the government or officials need not take any special steps or measures for its marketing and disbursement in the country. Though, the recommendation seems quite influential as the health issues have been deeply considered but it has certain loopholes as it lacks proper evidences and logic that make the results flimsy and spurious.

First of all, the deduction of results has been specially mentioned about the people of 'impoverished' nation; in such a case, if new millet quality is introduced, that might be of higher cost relative to previous one. The organization didn't pay any heed towards mentioning the retail price of the new commodity. Had it not been in affordable range of denizens of Tagus, the whole venture will turn useless. To make this more effective, the author should have considered the proposed market price along with the need of subsidy on the wholesale price.

Along with this, the efficiency or procedures that should be adopted while cultivation of new millet has been ignored. The author presented the help to farmers in form of subsidies but subsided to impart the knowledge about which type of soil yields maximum output, water requirement by seeds to implant, harvesting season etc. In lack of valid and apt information, the tillers won't be able to handle the new variety of millet. Had the organization mentioned about the guidance program regarding the new seed ,in-spite of considering only subsidy, the recommendation would have been more sturdy.

Furthermore, the hesitancy of natives towards the acceptability of new variety has not been considered. The native might be uneducated or ignorant about the benefits of Vitamin A in new variety and so in-spite of being a staple food, they might be reluctant in adding this to their ongoing eating habits. People are always skeptical about the change at first and moreover it is engineered and not natural. Had the author conducted a nationwide introductory program for the enlightenment of citizens towards the benefits of new variety over the previous one or should have inquired whether there are other cheap natural foods enriched in vitamin A that is in reach of people, the results could have been validated.

Last but not the least, nothing has been mentioned about the sample under study, the author presented the complete review under a umbrella term using 'people of Tagus' and didn't consider the demographic structure of society. Had the information been given about the age-structure, economic-stratification etc the results could have been framed on apt grounds.

In conclusion, if organization wants to offer reliable and valid results then they should pay interest not only on introduction of seeds but also on the dissemination of accurate knowledge about the advantages of new variety along with a check on the price structure. Certain efforts on these regard will help in attaining correct result.

argument 2 -- not OK. simply: the cost may be more than the subsidies

argument 4 -- not OK. Need to argue against the conclusion:
'To combat vitamin A deficiency, the government of Tagus should do everything it can to promote this new type of millet.'
----------------