Collectors prize the ancient life size clay statues of human figures made on Kali Island but have long wondered how Kalinese artists were able to depict bodies with such realistic precision Since archaeologists have recently discovered molds of human head

Collectors prize the ancient life-size clay statues of human figures made on Kali Island but have long wondered how Kalinese artists were able to depict bodies with such realistic precision. Since archaeologists have recently discovered molds of human heads and hands on Kali, we can now conclude that the ancient Kalinese artists used molds of actual bodies, not sculpting tools and techniques, to create these statues. This discovery explains why Kalinese miniature statues were abstract and entirely different in style: molds could be used only for life-size sculptures. It also explains why few ancient Kalinese sculpting tools have been found. In light of this discovery, collectors predict that the life-size sculptures will decrease in value while the miniatures increase in value.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the prediction and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the prediction.

The author states that ancient Kalinese artists used molds to create statues rather than sculping techniques. The logic of this argument is unsound. Moreover, the collectors´ prediction that life-size sculptures will be cheaper whereas the miniatures will be more expensive is not entirely logically cogent, because it is based on dubious inferences and questionable assumptions, which requires more information to prove they are valid and reliable.

How recent archeological discoveries of human heads and hands molds on Kali Island can prove that kalinese artists used molds to create life-size sculptures instead of sculpting them using appropriate tools and techniques? It is possible that these archeological findings were related to other possible explanations. For example, the human heads and hands molds could be used to religious rituals or to avoid bad spirits. On the other hand, if the assumption of molds being used for artistic purpose were known to be the case, we would ask where are the molds for the rest of the body?

The author´s implies that miniatures sculptures were made by hand, since they have different style while life-size sculptures were made using molds. We would ask how the contrast in style can prove the usage of molds? We would hesitate to assume this relationship, since distinct groups of artists could perform each kind of statue. For instance, women did the miniatures while men did the life-sized statues or elderly people did the miniatures while youngsters did the big ones.

Could the reduced quantity of sculpting tools found corroborate with author´s assumptions? Maybe not, since the reduced number of discovered sculpting tools could be related to the fact that more archeological searches are necessary or even not enough searches were done to this specific purpose.

How collectors can be sure that the life-size sculptures will decrease in value? Just because the ancient artists used molds? The fact of using molds made the artists less adroit? If confirmed the use of molds, it could be possible this technique was implemented by Kalinese artists, hence, enhancing the value of statues.

Thus, based on all these questions and related weakness in the argument, the collectors´ prediction that life-size sculptures will be cheaper whereas the miniatures will be more expensive is not entirely logically cogent.