TPO 06 - Question 6

Speaking topics in text

TPO 06 - Question 6

Speaking category

A sample Answer to this speaking in text:

The professor talks about two kinds of attention in the lecture. The first type is active attention which is voluntary. For example, if a biology teacher teaches a class by only reading from a textbook, the class can become fairly boring. Most students would force themselves to focus, but sooner or later, the students will be distracted. The second type of attention is passive attention, let’s say instead of reading from a textbook, the teacher pulls a live frog out of his bag, then the lecture becomes really interesting. As long as the frog is on the table, the students will be able to focus on the lecture.

1. Now listen to part of a talk in an education class.
2. One of the hardest parts of teaching is keeping your students' attention.
3. Now, the key to doing this is understanding the concept of attention.
4. Basically, there are two types of attention.
5. The first type is 'active'.
6. Active attention is voluntary.
7. It's when you intentionally make yourself focus on something.
8. And since it requires effort, it's hard to keep up for a long time.
9. Ok, so, um, let's say you're teaching a, a biology class, and today's topic is 'frogs', all right?
10. You're standing at the front of the room and lecturing,"A-frog-is-a-type-of-animal-known-as-an-amphibian.
11. ' Well, this isn't necessarily going to keep the students' interest.
12. But most of them will force themselves to pay active attention to your lecture.
13. But it's only a matter of time before they get distracted.
14. Now the other type of attention is passive attention when it's involuntary.
15. Passive attention requires no effort because it happens naturally.
16. If something's really interesting, students don't have to force themselves to pay attention to it.
17. They do it without even thinking about it.
18. So, back to our biology lecture, you start talking about frogs, and then you pull a live frog out of your briefcase.
19. You're describing it while you hold it up, show the students how long its legs are and, and how they're used for jumping, for example.
20. Then, maybe you'll even let the frog jump around a bit on the desk or the floor.
21. In this case, by doing something unexpected, something more engaging, you can tap in to their passive attention and it can last much longer than active attention.
22. As long as the frog is still there, your students will be interested.