THIRD CULTURE KIDS (-Syerapke-)

THIRD CULTURE KIDS (-Syerapke-)

Nowadays, International careers are usually released the third culture kids (TCKs). This called for children who are growth in a culture and separate with their parent culture passport(s). The developmental surround cultural complexity is linked them with their experience from adults TCKs (ATCKs).

Ruth Hill Useem, a sociologist, begins her research in India with expatriates. She found that people who came from their home (first culture) to crowd place (second culture) made lifestyle which was different with them. The condition is called “third culture” as the termination. For children who nurture with this phenomenon Useem noted “third culture kids”. This day, most of expatriates families have been kept using their familial pattern while they live overseas.

Next, we can see some examples for these cases. Brice Royer, the former of TCKid.com, is a child from the UN peacekeeper. His father is a half-French/half-Vietnamese, whereas his mother is Ethiopian. Brice lived in seven countries before his eighteen; France, Mayotte, La Reunion, Ethiopia, Egypt, Canada, and England. Based on this numerous movement he said, when people talk to me where I came from, I just make a joke and answer “My mom said I came from heaven”.

The other ATCK story, a little Elizabeth Dunbar should be followed Roy, her father, in his relocation. It was from Jamaica to Britain. Her mother, Hortense, was a child from Jamaican immigrant in Britain at that time and had a scheme to oust “one day”. Therefore, when Elizabeth would build careers in Britain, she had to face the second relocation to Venezuela because of her fathers’ job, too. This nomadic life still occurs in the following years and also forced them to live in the three different countries in USA. Presently, based on her experience living in several countries she realized that racial diversity may be recognized; the hidden cultural diversity of her life remained invisible.

Notwithstanding, such complexities, most of ATCKs share their experiences and this way gave direct privilege for them. They have seen the world and get the opportunity to become billiangualist or more. The most important thing from their understanding is about culture and individual differences; they can spread out the way of seeing life. It is nice whether or not all of the children might not get this good chance. An ATCK Mikel Jentzsch, the author of Bloodbrothers–Our Friendship in Liberia one of the best- selling books in Germany, has a German passport but grew up in Niger and Liberia. He also experienced to become soldier before the civil war forced his family to leave that country. Through his perception, the stories of those ATCK would otherwise overlook as life reflection to us.

Likewise, it is important to understand the reason behind TCK experience. Many ATCKs now are in the influence and stance in power position which can be benefit as the weapon for them to face globalization challenge. Usually the ATCK succeed while doing businesses or in the professional working as the result of the ATCK experience live through the world. The main benefit of ATCK is altering fear become challenge and also fracturing conventional world view. This skills guide differences for them, ATCK and non-ATCK, in order to different point of view about diversity in tradition such as race or gender.

However, many people have curiosity and want to know about the benefits and challenges of the TCK profile which correlated with their nomadic living and their career success. TCK, actually, had grown up with different conditions such as as children of immigrants, refugees, bi-racial, bi-cultural unions, international adoptees or children in minority.

The TCK experience is like a Petri dish of sorts. It is due to effect of their development in many cultural places linked with a high degree of mobility and also made this studies subject become interesting. Thus, we can see lessons may be also related for helping us to understand about other issues of other cross-cultural kids (CCKs) may also face. It is doable we may find that we need to reconsider our traditional thinking to term diversity and identity also. Particularly, as for TCK’s, “culture” may be defined by shared experience rather than shared nationality or ethnicity. Based on their stories and building new representatives for our changing world, some will be able to acknowledge and take benefit from the prestige of cross-cultural childhood. It can be used as a substantial material to successfully deal with the challenges neither in for their personal, communal, even in corporate proficient.