In an attempt to improve highway safety, Prunty County last year lowered its speed limit from 55 to 45 miles per hour on all county highways. But this effort has failed: the number of accidents has not decreased, and, based on reports by the highway patro

In an attempt to improve highway safety, Prunty County last year lowered its speed limit from 55 to 45 miles per hour on all county highways. But this effort has failed: the number of accidents has not decreased, and, based on reports by the highway patrol, many drivers are exceeding the speed limit. Prunty County should instead undertake the same kind of road improvement project that Butler County completed five years ago: increasing lane widths, resurfacing rough highways, and improving visibility at dangerous intersections. Today, major Butler County roads still have a 55 mph speed limit, yet there were 25 percent fewer reported accidents in Butler County this past year than there were five years ago.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

In order to improve highway safety Prunty county should implement the same measures as its neighboring Butler country. This conclusion is buttressed by several evidences which should be evaluated in order to gauge the soundness of the conclusion.

First of all, we were told that lowering speed limit from 55 to 44 miles per hour has failed due to the fact that the number of accidents has preserved. However, how severe consequences of these accidents are? Perhaps the number of lethal accidents or cases of significant health damage has significantly dropped since the implementation of the speed limit. Probably the alteration has preserved health of many people who had an accident in particular if they are connected with pedastriants. Thus, author's evidence is not sufficient.

Moreover, some highway patrol avers that motorists are exceeding the speed limit. However, how much do these drivers exceed the limit? Probably the drivers only slightly and accidently exceed the speed limit. Moreover, the police officers observed only a small part of all drivers and therefore we cannot extrapolate these observation on all motorists. To sum up, the writer has failed to support his or her assertion that the speed limit does not work. Probably it is effective but the means which were used to estimate it does not fixed it.

Besides, the argument proposes to repeat the policy which was fulfilled in Butler county. However, are these two county equal? Butler county may have a lot of mountain roads with many bends and courners, Prunty county perhaps is a flatland with the straight roads. Moreover, the Prunty county may already have a decent and wide roads with many lanes, when Butler county had only one lane roads five years ago. In other words, the two counties may differ in many ways and therefore, the implementation of the same policy may not have the same results.

Additionally to it, the writer gives us data that after the alteration Butler County has dramatical improvement in number of accident. Despite the fact that 25 per cent decline is important, to be able to gauge the efficiency of the policy we need to compare the percentage of accidents in both counties. For instance, Butler county may have after the decline 100 accidents per 10,000, when Prunty county may have only 10 accidents per 10, 000 dwellers. Thus, to accept this statistical data we need to learn more about situation in both counties.

In conclusion, despite the fact that originator of the text believes that the speed limit is insufficient, he or she does not manage to prove it. Moreover, the proposed repetition of policy which was fulfilled five years ago in Butler county may not bring expected results due to the possibility that two counties as well as the reasons for the accidents may not be the same.

Sentence: Probably the alteration has preserved health of many people who had an accident in particular if they are connected with pedastriants.
Error: pedastriants Suggestion: pedestrians

Sentence: Butler county may have a lot of mountain roads with many bends and courners, Prunty county perhaps is a flatland with the straight roads.
Error: courners Suggestion: corners

Sentence: Additionally to it, the writer gives us data that after the alteration Butler County has dramatical improvement in number of accident.
Error: dramatical Suggestion: No alternate word

----------------
argument 1 -- not OK. better: other factors might have influenced the constant rate of accidents.

argument 2 -- not OK. Well, we accept all data are complete.

argument 4 -- duplicated to argument 3
----------------