Essay topics: The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a journal on environmental issues.
"Over the past year, the Crust Copper Company (CCC) has purchased over 10,000 square miles of land in the tropical nation of West Fredonia. Mining copper on this land will inevitably result in pollution and, since West Fredonia is the home of several endangered animal species, in environmental disaster. But such disasters can be prevented if consumers simply refuse to purchase products that are made with CCC's copper unless the company abandons its mining plans."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
The author of the letter believes that actions of the Crust Copper Company (CCC) for unearthing copper in purchased land of West Fredonia will inescapably cause pollution and ecological catastrophe. This statement is based on evidence which is connected with the conclusion by several assumptions which should be carefully scrutinized in order to give a comprehensive estimation of the argument's soundness.
To begin with, the arguer claims that mining of copper in obtained land will inevitably tail contamination of the environment. At the same time, CCC will be operating within existed laws which restrict and control company's actions thus probability of contamination of the territory perhaps is exaggerated. Moreover, CCC may use modern ecologically friendly technology which causes no harm for the nature. However, even if we accept that mining of the minerals may pollute the surrounding territory, probably it will not cause the disaster. The word disaster means that consequences of it are irrevocable and damage is grave. The information which was used by the author does not support this statement and a mere pollution of land does not equal to an environmental catastrophe.
Furthermore, the argument claims that CCC's activity will unavoidably cause the extinction of several endangered species which live on West Fredonia. The statement is based on assumption that these species live on the bought area, at the same time, these animals may inhabit removed area of West Fredonia and corporations’ mining activity will not cause any damage for them. The argument might have been stronger had the author given us data that these rare animals are residents of the purchased by CCC territory.
Finally, the originator proposes to boycott the products which are made with CCC's copper. But copper is a material which is rarely used in its pure state. CCC's probably sell the unearthed copper to other companies and thus to be effective the campaign should expand on the products of these companies' as well. Will these actions enough to prevent such disasters? Perhaps the answer is "no" and it is required to boycott products of other firms which hurt the nature of West Fredonia.
In conclusion, the arguer believes that actions of CCC will cause the disaster and serious damage; but this belief is not bolstered properly and seems to be unwarranted. Moreover, actions to which the author calls are perhaps insufficient and will not bring expected results.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|2 months 1 week ago||Gh.Ne||83||Read full essay|
|3 months 1 day ago||numan947||78||Read full essay|
|3 months 3 weeks ago||Ghader||83||Read full essay|
|9 months 3 weeks ago||evanlu||59||Read full essay|
|2 years 3 months ago||roncy||Read full essay|
|2 years 11 months ago||abedjar2||66||Read full essay|
|2 years 11 months ago||harsh.dota||58||Read full essay|
|2 years 11 months ago||harsh.dota||58||Read full essay|
|3 years 3 weeks ago||zeroreh||66||Read full essay|
|3 years 11 months ago||DubinchukEugene||60||Read full essay|
- The text was uploaded as a picture. I am sorry for that. (80)
- Read and think about the following statement:The college years are the best time in a person's life.Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons to support your opinion. (80)
- Read and think about the following statement: pets should be treated like family members.Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons to support your opinion. (80)
- Do computers think? It isn't a new question. In fact, Alan Turing, a British mathematician, proposed an experiment to answer the question in 1950 and the test, known as the Turing test, is still used today. In the experiment a group of people are asked to (80)
- Historically, schools in the US have borrowed the European system of school organization, a system that separates students into grades by chronological age. In general, children begin formal schooling at the age of six in what is referred to as the first (80)
- Leaders like John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King have made important contributions to the people of the United States. Name another world leader you think is important. Give specific reasons for your choice. (90)
- Films can tell us a lot about the country in which they were made. What haveyou learned about a country from watching its movies? Use specific examplesand details to support your response. (80)
- Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study with a group ofstudents. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to supportyour answer. (80)
- You have enough money to purchase either a house or a business. Whichwould you choose to buy? Give specific reasons to explain your choice. (80)
- Nowadays, food has become easier to prepare. Has this change improved theway people live? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (80)