The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend Of the two leading real estate firms in our town Adams Realty and Fitch Realty Adams Realty is clearly superior Adams has 40 real estate agents in contrast Fitch has 25 many of whom work only

The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend.

"Of the two leading real estate firms in our town — Adams Realty and Fitch Realty — Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work only part-time. Moreover, Adams' revenue last year was twice as high as that of Fitch and included home sales that averaged $168,000, compared to Fitch's $144,000. Homes listed with Adams sell faster as well: ten years ago I listed my home with Fitch, and it took more than four months to sell; last year, when I sold another home, I listed it with Adams, and it took only one month. Thus, if you want to sell your home quickly and at a good price, you should use Adams Realty."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The letter from homeowner, comparing two real estate companies suggests that, one of them is best – Adams reality – based on some records and homeowner’s own experience. At first glance it seems that, Adams Realty is better than Fitch Realty. However, because of the tenuous nature of the evidence and some unstated assumptions which might be proved wrong later, its difficult to conclude that Adams Realty is superior.

Homeowner mentions that one of firms has less agents compared to other. However, the assumption that less number of agents mean inefficiency or less efficient agents than the agents of other firm is incredible. In turn, less number of agents indicates that they will work hard to thrive and attract more customers. It is more likely that firm with less agents attracts more customers because of hardworking agents and marketing strategies. It is also possible that the some agents of Adams Realty are lazy and lethargic. Giving the proof of inefficiency of Fitch Realty workers’ and efficiency of all forty workers of Adams Realty would support homeowner’s suggestion to a great extent.

Letter indicates that, in last year, Adams Realty has made more profit that the other company. However, there is no record of profit from past years other than last year. Financial records from at least past ten years is required to deduce that Adams Realty is making more sales than Fitch realty. If the records indicate that Adams realty has made more profit in only last year, it weakens the homeowner’s argument. Homeowner also mentions about average home sale price for both the companies. House value is often influenced by an array of factors like location, property size, amenities, the year in which it is built etc. So, homeowner should shed some light on records of all sold houses to bolster his suggestion.

Homeowner assumes that, homes listed in Adams Realty sell faster than homes listed with other company and this assumption is based on his own experience ten years ago. However, there are some missing points. Real estate business undergoes drastic changes based on what people want and moreover, buying a house is contingent upon peoples’ financial conditions. It is possible that over the course of ten years, financial conditions have improved a lot and people are more interested in buying a house, than were ten years back. In addition, the letter does not mention about any other homes which took more time to get sold out. Also, homeowner’s experience is specific to a particular town, so the experience cannot be generalized to all locations. Homeowner should focus more on giving some solid evidence that connects the missing points, which helps to augment his suggestion.

Homeowner’s suggestion that, home should be listed with Adams Realty for the quick sales at good prices may not be correct. As the letter falls short in providing substantive evidence to prove that suggestion is correct. It would not be wise to merely depend on homeowner’s suggestion to list one’s house with Adams Realty. So anyone listing their homes with Adams Realty should do comprehensive research beforehand.