The following appeared in a memo to the board of directors of Bargain Brand Cereals.
"One year ago we introduced our first product, Bargain Brand breakfast cereal. Our very low
prices quickly drew many customers away from the topselling cereal companies. Although
the companies producing the top brands have since tried to compete with us by lowering
their prices and although several plan to introduce their own budget brands, not once have
we needed to raise our prices to continue making a profit. Given our success in selling
cereal, we recommend that Bargain Brand now expand its business and begin marketing
other lowpriced food products as quickly as possible."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the
argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what
the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
The memo by the Board of directors makes an argument for expanding business of the company and begin marketing other low-priced food products based on the success of Bargain Brand breakfast cereal. However, there are a number of assumptions made which need to be critically evaluated to ensure that argument is reasonable.
Firstly, there is the assumption that the low prices offered by the the cereal is responsible for the success of the breakfast. Just because the low price of the product coincided with the success does not mean the latter is caused by the former. It may be that there are a ...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- The following is a recommendation from the personnel director to the president of Acme Publishing Company."Many other companies have recently stated that having their employees take the Easy Read Speed-Reading Course has greatly improved productivity. One50
- The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Parkville Daily newspaper."Throughout the country last year, as more and more children below the age of nine participated in youth-league sports, over 40,000 of these young players suffered injuries.70
- The following appeared in a memo from the director of a large group of hospitals."In a laboratory study of liquid antibacterial hand soaps, a concentrated solution of UltraClean produced a 40 percent greater reduction in the bacteria population than did t40
- The following appeared in a memo from a budget planner for the city of Grandview."It is time for the city of Grandview to stop funding the Grandview Symphony Orchestra. It istrue that the symphony struggled financially for many years, but last year privat80
- The following appeared in a memo from the Board of Directors of Butler Manufacturing During the past year workers at Butler Manufacturing reported 30 percent more on the job accidents than workers at nearby Panoply Industries where the work shifts are one78
argument 1 -- OK
argument 2 -- OK
argument 3 -- OK
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.5 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 17 15
No. of Words: 391 350
No. of Characters: 1953 1500
No. of Different Words: 183 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.447 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.995 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.738 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 152 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 120 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 73 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 46 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 23 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 10.227 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.765 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.339 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.573 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.086 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5