Essay topics: The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station.
"Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station's coverage of weather and local news. In addition, local businesses that used to advertise during our late-night news program have canceled their advertising contracts with us. Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to our news programs and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should expand our coverage of weather and local news on all our news programs."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
In the memorandum, the business manager recommend an initiation of expanding the portion of local new and whether report in order to attract more viewers and advertisement investment. The managers assumes that in the e last year the decreasing late-night news coverage in nation news, local news and weather report has a deleterious impact on the relationship with local business company and local audience, as a result of which he/she also received abundant complaints. While the recommendation might be beneficial to some extent, the reasoning of this argument is unconvincing. If the assumption above is proven unwarranted, it will seriously challenge the author's recommendation.
First of all, the manager's recommendation relies heavily on the assumption that dramatically decline of both audience and advertisement revenue is seriously enough to require immediate measures be taken. Specifically, he assumes that the complaints from viewers are for less weather and local news. Based on such assumption, the writer therefore proposes formal instruction to attract more local viewers and investors. However, this assumption is potentially problematic because we are not informed with the exact reason why local businesses men withdraw their contract. In addition, nor do we know what the audiences have complained about. If it turns out that the reasoning of investment losing and views leaving are not due to the less time on local news, then the author's argument for an expansion of local news and weather in the late-night program is invalid.
In addition, the manager argues that they should expand the coverage of weather or local news in case to lose any further advertising revenues. However, this argument is based on a gratuitous assumption that the decreasing of local news and weather is the only reason of losing advertisement contract, which is unwarranted. It is of possibility that the unprofessional style of the late-night program caused the failure in attracting investment. Additionally, lack of sufficient viewers in the late night, which will lose the efficiency of the advertisement, could also serve as an alternative reason. If any of these possibilities is true,, then we are inclined to believe that other assumption could compromise the one proposed by the manager.
Even if the assumptions mentioned above are of validity, the manager’s recommendation could be unnecessary due to the doubtful assumption concerning the declining audience. It is unreasonable to assume the decreasing coverage of weather and local news is the only reason of the dramatically views fluctuation from their complaint. Without denying, the manager hastily draws an invalid conclusion. The complaints from the viewers are wanting of revision. It is equal possibility that low quality of the national news and bias from the program could also serve as another significant reason. If this program provokes the above mentioned possibilities, then the recommendation may not be enacted and we cannot therefore expect an increasing number of audience.
To put in a nutshell,, whether or not we should implement the manager's recommendation depends greatly on the validity of the assumption in the argument. If these assumption prove unwarranted, then the recommendation will be little more that the manager's wishful thinking, and accordingly we need to consider other alternative and convincing solutions to tackle this program's difficulty.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|3 days 16 hours ago||Mrunal47286||75||Read full essay|
|1 month 21 hours ago||kian22||44||Read full essay|
|1 month 6 days ago||Shion||58||Read full essay|
|3 months 2 days ago||kanishkbar4321@...||60||Read full essay|
|3 months 3 weeks ago||Mirjana||78||Read full essay|
|3 months 3 weeks ago||Mirjana||58||Read full essay|
|6 months 2 weeks ago||kap1990||49||Read full essay|
|6 months 3 weeks ago||Upendra Chaulagain||60||Read full essay|
|7 months 14 hours ago||Gary||58||Read full essay|
|7 months 3 weeks ago||inquisitive_soul||43||Read full essay|
- 49) Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Face-to-face communication is better than other types of communication, such as letters, email, or telephone calls. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer. (73)
- TPO-24 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?One of the best ways that parents can help their teenage children prepare for adult life is to encourage them to take a part-time job.Use specific reasons and examples (73)
- TPO-12 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects than to specialize in one specific subject.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (73)
- TPO-48 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Because modern life is very complex, it is essential for young people to have the ability to plan and organize. (65)
- TPO-29 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? To improve the quality of education, universities should spend money on salaries university professors. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (73)
- TPO-40 - Independent Writing Task Some parent offer their school-age children money for each high grade (mark) they get in school Do you think this is a good idea?Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (70)
- TPO-07 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (81.5)
- TPO-05 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?People today spend too much time on personal enjoyment-doing things they like to do-rather than doing things they should do.Use specific reasons and examples to suppo (41.5)
- TPO-42 - Independent Writing Task Workers are more satisfied when they have many different types of tasks to do during the workday than when they do similar tasks all day long.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (73)
- TPO-30 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more enjoyable to have a job where you work only three days a week for long hours than to have a job where you work five days a week for shorter hours. Use spec (73)