Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become extinct. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, b

evanlu's picture

In this report, the author assumes that there must be other factors caused the large mammal species' extinctions instead of human beings who lived in Kaliko Islands, given the human beings there would not hunt for these mammals as food generally. This assumptions is problematic in that there are some loopholes in this report, we should evaluate them carefully.

To begin with, even if the human did not hunt these mammals for food, the conclusion that anthropogical behaivior did not cause the extinction is not well supported.

Firstly, people in the islands had lived with these animals for 3,000 years, the human activities can disturb the mammals in high possiblity, one of the most important invasion is that the habitats of mammals could be detroyed by the humans because they also need place to live and for activities. Secondly, the author tells us numerous sites where the bones of fish had been discarded werr found by archarologists who found no larger mammals' bones there. The author predicted the people did not eat these mammals. These animals , however, maybe eat the fish, likewise. Thus the competetion for food between the mammals and human in these Islands arised,given the certain source of fish, the mammals could also be endagered by people.Thirdly, there was a most serious while possible case in the islands of Kaliko that the mammals hunted human for food. This situation is the situation could happen in the islands while the author does not tell us. Of course, as primitive human in all other place, if thay are chased by large animals , they would run if they could not kill them, on the other hand, they would kill these animals if they could. This case would also make sense in the Kaliko islands. To me I suggests the author to find out what did the human wear in the island, maybe there will be more discoveries like hiebounds or skins of mammals.

In addtion, the conclusion that other fators like climate change to make the mammals' extinction is not supported. In that there is no obvious evidence the author shows to us to prove this assuption. What's more, there is a high possiblity that the extinction of large mammals is a complicated issue which could not interpreted by a single reason. In another word, for example, I believe there already had been large mammals in the Kaliko Islands before human beings' arrival,while there maybe climate change at times before before 7,000 years ago. The mammals were still there, thus this single reason could not make extinction. The author as well as the archaeologists should rethink about this matter comprehensively. In my opinion, there are some cases co-working which casued these mammals' gone forever. Like human hunting for safety and clothes,climate seriously change,and lack of food which collected by human.

Your rating: None Average: 6 (2 votes)