A recently issued twenty-year study on headaches suffered by the residents of Mentia investigated the possible therapeutic effect of consuming salicylates. Salicylates are members of the same chemical family as aspirin, a medicine used to treat headaches.

A recently issued twenty-year study on headaches suffered by the residents of Mentia investigated the possible therapeutic effect of consuming salicylates. Salicylates are members of the same chemical family as aspirin, a medicine used to treat headaches. Although many foods are naturally rich in salicylates, food-processing companies also add salicylates to foods as preservatives. The twenty-year study found a correlation between the rise in the commercial use of salicylates and a steady decline in the average number of headaches reported by study participants. At the time when the study concluded, food-processing companies had just discovered that salicylates can also be used as flavor additives for foods, and, as a result, many companies plan to do so. Based on these study results, some health experts predict that residents of Mentia will suffer even fewer headaches in the future.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The writer of the argument discusses a twenty-year study on the possible infulences of consuming salicylates by dwellers of Mentia suffering from headaches. The study has reported that it is found that there is an invert relation between consuming this material and the average number of headaches reported by study participants. Although people’s food is rich in salicylates, companies and factories also add it to the foods as preservatives and as falvor additives. At the end, it is predicted that the number of the inhabitants of this city suffering from headache will even become fewer. However, this prediction cannot be accepted as it rests on a number of assumptions which can be challenged in one way or another.

The first problem with this argument is that it assumes that the reduction in the number of sufferers is because of the increase in the use of salicylates. Maybe, that is because of the existance of other elements or there is a probability that factories have followed different recipes over the years which had a positive influence on people.

Another problem with this argument is that it assumes that people lifestyle and living conditions remain the same over the years. However, this event may be due to the changes in the weather, or water conditions. Moreover, this result can be because of the increase in people’s knowledge.

Third problem with this argument is that there is not any evidence of the participants of the study, whether they are old or young, men or female. The result of study van be different regarding these issues and cannot be expanded to the whole of the society.

As the final analysis, this conclusion cannot be taken to be accepted unless the lack of evidences already referred to be removed.

Sentence: The writer of the argument discusses a twenty-year study on the possible infulences of consuming salicylates by dwellers of Mentia suffering from headaches.
Error: infulences Suggestion: influences

Sentence: Maybe, that is because of the existance of other elements or there is a probability that factories have followed different recipes over the years which had a positive influence on people.
Error: existance Suggestion: existence

------------------

argument 2 -- not OK

argument 3 -- not OK
--------------------
read explanations:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-argument-task-essays/recently-issued-twe…

------------------------