Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa

Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The passage based its conclusion on three premises. First, it mentioned a recent discovery of Palean baskets in Lithos. Second, it refers to the fact that the two villages are separated by a very deep and broad river needing boats to cross. And finally, it said that archaeologists have not found any boats there. By these three premises, the passage reached the conclusion that Palean baskets were made in other places, as well as in Palea.

First, regarding the first premise, we need further evidence about the creator of the baskets. Maybe, the evidence would show that the baskets were made by Palean people and brought to Lithos by the river. If so, the argument would be void. On the other hand, if the evidence shows that the baskets were made by people rather than Palean people, it will strengthen the argument.

Second, the passage states that the Brim river is now very deep, and said nothing about it in the prehistoric time that the villages existed. Possibly, further archaeological evidence shows that there was a severe drought then and during the time, people of the villages could travel easily and sell their products to other village's members, hence the baskets found in Lithos might be the work of Palean people. If so, it weakens the arguments, but if it is shown that the river is always deep and broad and has water, the argument will be strengthened.

Third, the mere fact that no Palean boat has not been found does not prove that there was no Palean boat. We need more evidence to prove the author's point. For instance, other archaeological evidence would show that by Palean level of technology, it was impossible to produce boats and in this way strengthen the argument. Furthermore, we require further evidence whether or not the river is the only passage between the two villages. It can be found that at that time, there are other ways to travel between the . If so, it weaken the argument. But if we find that the river is the only means for those people to travel between the villages, it strengthens the argument.

Sentence: If so, it weaken the argument.
Description: The fragment it weaken the is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace weaken with verb, past tense