According to a recent report, cheating among college and university students is on the rise. However, Groveton College has successfully reduced student cheating by adopting an honor code, which calls for students to agree not to cheat in their academic en

According to a recent report, cheating among college and university students is on the rise. However, Groveton College has successfully reduced student cheating by adopting an honor code, which calls for students to agree not to cheat in their academic endeavors and to notify a faculty member if they suspect that others have cheated. Groveton's honor code replaced a system in which teachers closely monitored students; under that system, teachers reported an average of thirty cases of cheating per year. In the first year the honor code was in place, students reported twenty-one cases of cheating; five years later, this figure had dropped to fourteen. Moreover, in a recent survey, a majority of Groveton students said that they would be less likely to cheat with an honor code in place than without. Thus, all colleges and universities should adopt honor codes similar to Groveton's in order to decrease cheating among students.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

In the passage author has highlighted the importance of honour code to reduce the cheating in the academic institutions. Author has provided an example of Groveton college where that honour code was implemented and described its consequences. He has concluded that every colleges and university should adopt such method to pervent cheating. While the method clearly has some merit but not completely foolproof. It needs through investigation and understand the assumption that the author has made to reach the conclusion.

Firstly , honour code is likely a mutual agreement to preserve moral value of education between student and the university or college. It may possible they agree to follow the code but not obliged later. Those ethics may be preserved without honour code. So we can infer that the author likely to emphasise that if there is anything on paper, then students have to oblige it. But in reality that seems a weak point in assumption.

Secondly , it may possible that Groveton college might have taken other measure to prevent the cheating. Just agreement of honour code does not gurantee to reduce cheating. However author shows that the rate really decreases. So if we assume that author is correct about the number then it is highly probable that the college authority has taken other measure. Author does not provide any information regarding other probable measures.

Thirdly , the honour code is somewhat not convincing to prevent cheating. The loopholes of that code is if entire class is cheating and no one going to report about it. So if teacher also somehow missed to recognize cheating then honour code simply failed to serve the purpose. So proper imposing of the honour code is necessary. The student as well as teacher must be alearted to prevent cheating . Only honour code is not suffice.

Finally , the results of the survey provide a little faithful information to us as the method used in the survey is unknown to us. So it is hard to believe , that was inferred from that survey. The situation of one college can not be compared with the other colleges or universities . It may be possible the adaptation of honour code bring sucess to the Groveton college but it does not gurantee that it will bring the same result to the other academic institution also.

Thus, the arguments fails to consider the above mentioned facts and therefore, it is rendered unconvincing to the reader. Had these details been mentioned along with supporting evidence, it would have appeared much more compelling.

Sentence: It may possible they agree to follow the code but not obliged later.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by an adjective
Suggestion: Refer to may and possible

Sentence: Secondly , it may possible that Groveton college might have taken other measure to prevent the cheating.
Suggestion: Refer to may and possible

Sentence: It may be possible the adaptation of honour code bring sucess to the Groveton college but it does not gurantee that it will bring the same result to the other academic institution also.
Description: The fragment code bring sucess is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace bring with verb, present tense, 3rd person singular

Sentence: So we can infer that the author likely to emphasise that if there is anything on paper, then students have to oblige it.
Error: emphasise Suggestion: emphasize

Sentence: Just agreement of honour code does not gurantee to reduce cheating.
Error: gurantee Suggestion: guarantee

Error: sucess Suggestion: success
Error: gurantee Suggestion: guarantee