The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition.

Competition and cooperation are the catalyst for the development of societies for ages. Blending of both cooperation and competition will be necessary for proper progress of the society. So I am not strictly agreed with the author. In my opinion both of them are required but in a balanced way depending upon the situation.

Competition has been known to be a strong driving force for success in any sector. It may be education, job , sports. A "healthy" competition is always desired. The term healthy need to be emphasize. Because when competition comes into mean level then the spirit as well as the goal is lost. Since all trying to be excelled, competition generally creates a tensed environment, which prevents each other from effective sharing and cooperation. When we are encourage to thrive success inspiring from other successful people. That is the spirit of the competition we are looking for.

Cooperation is a virtue of teamwork. In a team we share our views, listen others , help each other so that all can perform equally well and the goal is established. No body is perfect. Everybody has certain drawbacks so when we are cooperating with each other we are taking the best from the other ones. So the work will be nicely done as every body is cooperating with their best quality. It is also a good environment for learning many things from others.

However the requirement for cooperation and competition are different in different arena. For example in the classroom the cooperation from friends, fellow students, teachers are necessary but in the exam hall competitive mentality is required for success. In the exam time also we are cooperative towards our friends then the goal of the examination will be jeopardized. Take other example in the industry a group is assigned to a project and deadline is given. So all the members should cooperate as much as they can to make the project well with in the time. But as a whole they should compete with other group working on the same project.

So the requirement of competition and cooperation are different depending upon the situation. So it is difficult to make any general statement. But we can surely conclude that they both are extremely important ingredient for the progress. And how much those ingredients are required will depends upon the arena.