The council of Maple County, concerned about the county's becoming overdeveloped, is debating a proposed measure that would prevent the development of existing farmland in the county. But the council is also concerned that such a restriction, by limiting

Essay topics: The council of Maple County, concerned about the county's becoming overdeveloped, is debating a proposed measure that would prevent the development of existing farmland in the county. But the council is also concerned that such a restriction, by limiting the supply of new housing, could lead to significant increases in the price of housing in the county. Proponents of the measure note that Chestnut County established a similar measure ten years ago, and its housing prices have increased only modestly since. However, opponents of the measure note that Pine County adopted restrictions on the development of new residential housing fifteen years ago, and its housing prices have since more than doubled. The council currently predicts that the proposed measure, if passed, will result in a significant increase in housing prices in Maple County.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the prediction and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the prediction.

fiddo's picture

With the information provided, the assumptions leading to conclusion remains unfounded. The council of Maple County has predicted that establishing a measure that would limit the supply of new housing will result in a significant increase in housing prices in Maple County. This prediction was made based on the fact that Pine County adopted restrictions on the development of new residential housing fifteen years ago, and its housing prices have since more than doubled. However, author makes a number of unproved assumptions that hamper's reader ability to believe his prediction.If the author was to provide more evidence to support his assumptions, the argument would be much more effective.

...

Note: Only testbig VIP readers can access the full content of this essay.

Subscribe now as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.