The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine on lifestyles. "Two years ago, City L was listed 14th in an annual survey that ranks cities according to the quality of life that can be enjoyed by those living in them. This information will enab

The argument claims that city L has been listed on number 14th in the annual survey two years ago. This survey ranks all the cities based upon the quality of life enjoyed by the residents living in those cities. Further, the argument states that this particular information from the survey will help people to identity city L as this is the city in the state where one can find good schools, friendly people, affordable houses, safe environment and finally flourishing arts. In this particular argument, the author has come to the conclusion with the help of weak assumptions. The author manipulates the facts and conveys a distorted view of the situation. Hence, the argument is unconvincing and has several flaws.

Firstly, as the author mentions that the survey was taken two years ago. It is not at all clear in the argument whether city L is still at 14th number on the list or not. It might be true that two years ago, the quality life in city L was good, but one should not assume that after two years also, the quality would be the same. It might be possible that the present situation of city L is not good and has come down due to economic factors such as inflation, pricing theories etc. Two years is quite a big time, and it is plausible to acknowledge many changes within that period of time. Therefore, only by depending upon a survey, that too two years old, would never be helpful to anyone who is moving in the state. The argument would have been much clearer, if the author had cited the present day or current survey of the city ranking.

Secondly, not all surveys are right and up up to the mark. There are many people who falsely give the answers asked to them. Hence, in this particular argument, as the survey was taken according to the people living in city L, it is very much obvious that, the residents will praise their own city. However the city might be, the residents of it will definitely not give any bad comments. So, the people who have been surveyed might have lied in the survey about the quality of life they are living.

Moreover, the features which have been mentioned in the argument such as good schools, friendly people, affordable houses, safe environment and flourishing arts always change from one point of time to another. Therefore, one should not depend on these features to identify the city in the state. This was another weak assumption in the argument. Without convincing answers to the question, one is left with the impression that the argument is more of a wishful thinking rather than a substantive evidence.

In conclusion, the argument is seriously flawed to the above mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could have been considerably strengthened, if the author had mentioned about current situation and examples of present life. Without much information, the argument remains unsubstantiated and open to debate.