The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station.
"Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this time period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station's coverage of weather and local news. In addition, local businesses that used to advertise during our late-night news program have just canceled their advertising contracts with us. Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to the program and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should restore the time devoted to weather and local news to its former level."
The argument claims that there is a decrease in the number of audiences of the television station and revenues they get through advertisements due to their preference of national news over local news. They claim that in order to recapture their audiences they should turn back to their former amount of material included related with local news. Stated in this way the argument reveals examples of leap of faith, poor-reasoning and ill-defined terminology. The conclusion of the argument relies on assumptions for which there is no clear evidence. Hence, the argument is unconvincing and has several ...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP's recent s 70
- In an attempt to improve highway safety, Prunty County last year lowered its speed limit from 55 to 45 miles per hour on all county highways. But this effort has failed: the number of accidents has not decreased, and, based on reports by the highway patro 80
- Arctic deer live on islands in Canada's arctic regions. They search for food by moving over ice from island to island during the course of the year. Their habitat is limited to areas warm enough to sustain the plants on which they feed and cold enough, at 82
- The following appeared in an e-mail sent by the marketing director of the Classical Shakespeare Theatre of Bardville."Over the past ten years, there has been a 20 percent decline in the size of the average audience at Classical Shakespeare Theatre product 90
- Some people believe that corporations have a responsibility to promote the well-being of the societies and environments in which they operate. Others believe that the only responsibility of corporations, provided they operate within the law, is to make as 70
Sentence: Hence, the local businesses might prefer this methods such as internet or newspapers.
Description: A determiner/pronoun, singular is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to this and methods
No. of Words: 587 350
It is on top list:
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 6.0 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 1 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 32 15
No. of Words: 587 350
No. of Characters: 3056 1500
No. of Different Words: 237 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.922 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.206 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.734 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 225 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 182 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 126 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 71 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 18.344 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 7.647 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.5 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.295 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.462 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.104 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5