The following is a recommendation from the personnel director to the president of Acme Publishing Company.
"Many other companies have recently stated that having their employees take the Easy Read Speed-Reading Course has greatly improved productivity. One graduate of the course was able to read a 500-page report in only two hours; another graduate rose from an assistant manager to vice president of the company in under a year. Obviously, the faster you can read, the more information you can absorb in a single workday. Moreover, Easy Read would cost Acme only $500 per employee—a small price to pay when you consider the benefits. Included in this fee is a three-week seminar in Spruce City and a lifelong subscription to the Easy Read newsletter. Clearly, Acme would benefit greatly by requiring all of our employees to take the Easy Read course."
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.
The personnel director recommends to president, the "Easy Read" course to all of the employees in Acme Publishing company. He does so, on the premise that the course will render the same benefits as experienced a graduate and an employee. Additionally, the director assumes that the cheap cost, additional benefits and speed reading advantage will drive most of the employees to join the course. However, the argument lacks a lot of evidence, which need to be established, in order to effectively evaluate the credibility of the argument.
First of all, the argument mentions the ...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- Summarize lecture points contrasting with reading. 95
- Leaders like John F.Kennedy and Martin Luther King have made important contributions to the people of the United States. Name another world leader you think is important. Give specific reasons for your choice. 94
- Educators should base their assessment of students learning not on students grasp of facts but on the ability to explain the ideas trends and concepts that those facts illustrate Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disag 87
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Life today is easier and more comfortable than it was when your grandparents were children.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. 93
- Summarize the points made in the lecture, being sure to explain how they oppose the specific points made in the reading passage. 100
Sentence: Other factors that contributed to the promotion of this employee, must be analysed thoroughly and compared with effects of speed reading course.
Error: analysed Suggestion: analyzed
No. of Words: 652 350
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.0 out of 6
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 1 2
No. of Sentences: 29 15
No. of Words: 652 350
No. of Characters: 3249 1500
No. of Different Words: 253 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 5.053 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.983 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.786 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 239 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 196 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 140 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 91 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 22.483 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 10.585 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.517 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.307 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.504 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.091 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 6 5