An international development organization in response to a vitamin A deficiency among people in the impoverished nation of Tagus has engineered a new breed of millet high in vitamin A While seeds for this new type of millet cost more farmers will be paid

An international development organization, in response to a vitamin A deficiency among people in the impoverished nation of Tagus, has engineered a new breed of millet high in vitamin A. While seeds for this new type of millet cost more, farmers will be paid subsidies for farming the new variety of millet. Since millet is already a staple food in Tagus, people will readily adopt the new variety. To combat vitamin A deficiency, the government of Tagus should do everything it can to promote this new type of millet.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The argument with recommendation that the government should do everything it can to promote the new millet is rather weak. It is based on the premises that a organization has engineered a new breed of millet abounding of vitamin A, that farmers will be paid subsidies for farming the new variety of millet though the high cost, and that people will adopt the new breed readily. However, there are many questions worth asking, as explained in the following paragraphs.

First, will the vitamin A abounded in the millet be absorbed easily by human body, regarding to the effectiveness of eating such a food to solve the problem? If the answer is yes, then the propose is worth trying. On the contrary, if it is false, which implies that the vitamin A can't be acquired with such a new breed of millet, then the adoption still can't resolve the crucial problem, leaving the recommendation useless. The question should be answered in order to assess the effect of the recommendation.

Moreover, providing the easiness of absorption, do the new breed millet taste similar to the old kinds of millet which have been eaten habitually, regarding to the fact that if they have approximately equal taste, they can be adopted successfully? If the answer is yes, then they could be adopted as everyday meal without aware of the change and the vitamin A deficiency may possibly be solved. On the quite contrary, if the taste is quite different, the residents may probably fear the order and taste of the new variety, leaving the deficiency to another problem. The recommendation, as a result, can't be adopted easily.

In addition, assuming the above doubt is assured, does the government have enough funding to promote the cure? Regarding to the fact that the success of the cure needs the promotion and aid of the authority, the money becomes a big problem. If the government is not rich enough to simply tell people that the millet is good to our health or give the farmers some further support to farm such millet, then the recommendation may result in another predicament rather than solving one. On the contrary, if the government has some savings which are large enough to afford this policy, the cure may be applied, and the problem could be solved in the future.

In the end, the argument is rather weak, even though how crucial the contain is. However, if the provided question is answered with positive statement, it will be greatly reinforced. Therefore, it is still not the time to adopt the recommendation. More evidences are needed.