TOPIC: ARGUMENT17 - The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Walnut Grove town newspaper. "Walnut Grove's town council has advocated switching from EZ Disposal (which has had the contract for trash collection services in Walnut Grove for th

TOPIC: ARGUMENT17 - The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Walnut Grove town newspaper.

"Walnut Grove's town council has advocated switching from EZ Disposal (which has had the contract for trash collection services in Walnut Grove for the past ten years) to ABC Waste, because EZ recently raised its monthly fee from $2,000 to $2,500 a month, whereas ABC's fee is still $2,000. But the town council is mistaken; we should continue using EZ. EZ collects trash twice a week, while ABC collects only once. Moreover, EZ-which, like ABC, currently has a fleet of 20 trucks-has ordered additional trucks. Finally, EZ provides exceptional service: 80 percent of respondents to last year's town survey agreed that they were 'satisfied' with EZ's performance."

Here is a reader's letter to the editor of a newspaper making comparision of services of two trash disposal companies, EZ Disposal and ABC Disposal. The letter disfavours a recent proposal from city council to switch from EZ to ABC due to higher cost of the former. Writer favours the EZ due to its efficiency, track record and large truck fleet. He suggests that the disposal company should not be changed. Though writer has presented some compelling points, his point of view can be doubted on several points.

Writer informs that city council has advocated to change the disposal EZ because it has increased its monthly fee by $500. This statement, however, is stated without any proof. There might have been some other issues with this corporation that has made the council change the contractor.

One point stated in favour of EZ is that it picks the trash twice a week while ABC does only once. Though it might have some merits, picking trash once is not so bad if ABC corporation is able to install bigger trash bins. It is also possible that ABC is picking once a week in an area where generated waste is not so large.

Preffering EZ because of large truck fleet is hardly justifyable because though it might be helpful towards garbage collection ability, it does not say much about efficiency of the collection plan. Many a things can be done more efficiently using lesser amount of resources. But can ABC do it more efficiently? This question needs further investigation on efficiency of this corporation. Without that information, comparasion on sheer amount of truch fleet is unsubstantiated.

Addressing the last point of the writer, 'satisfied' in no means warrants an exceptional performance. It is stated by the writer that one-fifth of the residents are not even satisfied with the service. Therefore calling it exceptional is unjustified.

Sentence: Here is a reader's letter to the editor of a newspaper making comparision of services of two trash disposal companies, EZ Disposal and ABC Disposal.
Error: comparision Suggestion: comparison

Sentence: Preffering EZ because of large truck fleet is hardly justifyable because though it might be helpful towards garbage collection ability, it does not say much about efficiency of the collection plan.
Error: justifyable Suggestion: justifiable

Sentence: Without that information, comparasion on sheer amount of truch fleet is unsubstantiated.
Error: truch Suggestion: ?
Error: comparasion Suggestion: No alternate word

Argument 1 -- NOT OK

Argument 2 -- OK

Argument 3 -- NOT OK

Argument 4 -- NOT OK

Read the topic again and think why.