Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than

Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than by their own biological parents. Recently another anthropologist, Dr. Karp, visited the group of islands that includes Tertia and used the interview-centered method to study child-rearing practices. In the interviews that Dr. Karp conducted with children living in this group of islands, the children spent much more time talking about their biological parents than about other adults in the village. Dr. Karp decided that Dr. Field's conclusion about Tertian village culture must be invalid. Some anthropologists recommend that to obtain accurate information on Tertian child-rearing practices, future research on the subject should be conducted via the interview-centered method.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The author has shown two methods of understanding the Tertian child - rearing practices. Dr. Field used observation-centered approach to study Tertian culture and Dr. Karp used the interview-centered method to study child-rearing practices in Tertia. The conclusion of those two studies were different and somewhat contradicting. So clearly to understand the accuracy of any method that two scientists followed we need to explain certain assumptions.

Firstly, the main and most important question is that the acceptance and correctness of two methods that the two scientists have followed. Dr. Field used observation-centered method which is quite unpredictable as the accuracy of such method depends upon the observer accuracy. On the other hand Dr. Karp used interview centered method which is also not an independent method as the accuracy of this method depends upon the correctness of Tertians.

Next , the conclusions of their study are also not convincing. Because to understand a sensitive issue like child-rearing needs thorough study and understanding about their customs. Clearly it needs a considerable amount of timeframe for that study. Given argument has not mentioned the timeframe for such study . Clearly, one question is arising , that does the time of conducting their studies are same for both the scientist. If not then how can we even compare their conclusion. Because it may happen that in between their study the child-rearing pattern of Tertia may have been changed. So conclusion of both the scientists may correct in their own time.

Lastly the recommendation for further study to understand accurately the child rearing practice is somewhat confusing and it seems to provide weak connection with rest of the arguments. Does performing the same study again and again leads to accurate result ? It is only an assumption and does not have solid evidence to support that argument.