Claim: We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than from those whose views contradict our own.
Reason: Disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning.
The statement above is a typical example of the fallacy of false cause; between the amount of learning from others and the position of the others’ ideas regarding our views, there is not necessarily a linkage. We can learn from anyone, no matter how they are similar to us or how they may differ. “A wise enemy rises you, and a dumb friend knocks you down.” This is a Persian proverb that summarizes my viewpoint; the proverb invites us to have a relation with wise people, even if they are enemies it is better than to befriend with a dumb one.
To begin with, we cannot always learn from ...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- It is more harmful to compromise one's own beliefs than to adhere to them. 60
- 2.Some people believe that government officials must carry out the will of the people they serve.Others believe that officials should base their decisions on their own judgment. 80
- claim: Any piece of information referred to as a fact should be mistrusted, since it may well be proven false in the future.Reason: Much of the information that people assume is factual actually turns out to be inaccurate. 80
- 2. Some people believe that scientific discoveries have given us a much better understanding of the world around us. Others believe that science has revealed to us that the world is infinitely more complex than we ever realized. 60
- In a study of the reading habits of Waymarsh citizens conducted by the University of Waymarsh, most respondents said that they preferred literary classics as reading material. However, a second study conducted by the same researchers found that the type o 60
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.5 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 24 15
No. of Words: 472 350
No. of Characters: 2250 1500
No. of Different Words: 240 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.661 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.767 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.597 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 153 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 116 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 78 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 49 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 19.667 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 8.265 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.5 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.265 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.47 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.132 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5