"The concept of 'individual responsibility' is a necessary fiction. Although societies must hold individuals accountable for their own actions, people's behavior is largely determined by forces not of their own making."
The speaker claims that people’s treatment is largely out of their own decision and action and is more related to other forces. While the speaker overstates the effects of other fictional forces on people’s final behavior, on balance I agree that what they do eventually would not be merely the result of their own trial and intention.
Undoubtedly, everyone is to some extent responsible for his decisions and actions. In other words, it would not be reasonable to refuse the responsibility of everything that happens to us and attribute them to other people’s intentions and behaviors, or to our fate and unexplainable forces in our world which all are beyond our power to control. All people wish to act and behave as their interests and desires call for and therefore strive to achieve their goals and inner demands. Therefore, everyone should accept the consequences of his decisions and resulted course of action.
Furthermore, sometimes it is not only our decisions and intentions which might lead to our unsatisfactory or failure, but also our unawareness of difficulties or lack of perseverance. Therefore, it would be ridiculous to ascribe all the bad events in our lives to other people and forces, while we have made the decision to do so and we should have been aware of the probable problems and should have been ready to make a lot of efforts.
However, I concede that there are some events and forces all around the world which are not under our control or based on our desires. One important example of these forces our natural occurrence and sometimes disasters which are admittedly beyond our decisions. For instance, detrimental phenomena such as earthquake or tsunami which besides having harmful impacts on individuals’ life and career would influence all the society devastatingly.
Another example of these effective forces in our life, our other more powerful people’s thinking and actions especially people who are in authority. To name, consider an arbitrary government which have thorough control on every single behavior and even idea of the populace. In such gloomy and repressing environment, although people might do their best and have instructive believes in mind would not be able to act and behave as they wish and consequently it not be fair to blame them for the whole of their failures and mistakes.
In sum, everyone should accept the responsibility of the decisions he has adopted and the actions he has conducted. Nonetheless, the other uncontrollable happenings and forces which force people or gradually and without their intention move them towards some behaviors can not be disregarded.
- "In many countries it is now possible to turn on the television and view government at work. Watching these proceedings can help people understand the issues that affect their lives. The more kinds of government proceedings---trials, debates, meetings, et 80
- It is more important for student to read books about real events than it is for them to read novels. 85
- "The purpose of many advertisements is to make consumers want to buy a product so that they will 'be like' the person in the ad. This practice is effective because it not only sells products but also helps people feel better about themselves." 70
- The following appeared in a newsletter distributed at a recent political rally."Over the past year, the Consolidated Copper Company (CCC) has purchased over one million square miles of land in the tropical nation of West Fredonia. Mining copper on this la 40
- What is one of the oldest, if not actually the oldest, human bodies was discovered in 1991 by some rather surprised hikers who were traveling in the Alps of the Southern Tyrol close to the border between Austria and Italy. The hikers noticed what looked l 75
consider an arbitrary government which have thorough control on every single behavior
consider an arbitrary government which has thorough control on every single behavior
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 4.5 out of 6
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 1 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 16 15
No. of Words: 430 350
No. of Characters: 2165 1500
No. of Different Words: 209 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.554 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.035 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.795 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 158 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 119 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 85 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 61 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 26.875 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 10.851 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.625 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.35 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.631 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.127 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 6 5