It is more harmful to compromise one's own beliefs than to adhere to them.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the
statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting
your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true
and explain how these considerations shape your position.
Belief refers to assuming something as truth irrespective of empirical evidence. It acts as an important guidance for action and not necessarily as an indicator of truth. I do agree that in most cases, it is more harmful to compromise one's own beliefs than to adhere to them. However, there are certain exceptional circumstances where it is better to eschew the belief system altogether when it is proven to be morally wrong.
Firstly, compromising on one's belief system can be counterproductive as it ceases to be an important tool for guiding one's action. Belief system helps individuals to take a decisive course of action and avoid dilemmas. When an individual's belief system is compromised it might result in a situation where the individual is unable to take any course of action as he experiences a dilemma. This can seriously impair the decision making capabilities of a person and consequently may be more harmful in the longer run than when he adheres to his tried and tested belief system.
Secondly, compromising one's belief system for short term gain can erode a person's individuality and self worth in the long run and effect his integrity. For example, let us take a person who believes in honesty and is against corruption. In light of recent financial troubles at home he compromises on his honesty and takes bribe . This may satisfy his temporary needs , but does not give him any happiness in the long term. He loses his self worth, as people who till now respected him for his integrity will no longer do so.
On the other hand, there are instances where a person faces a situation wherein his belief system is found to be immoral and harmful in the long run not only for him but also for the society at large. In such a case, it is much better to eschew one's belief system rather than adhere to it and adopt a more scrupulous belief system as a guidance for one's action. For instance, King Ashoka when he saw the death and destruction caused by his belief in war and acquisition during the kalinga war, gave it up in favour of Buddhist belief system of peace and non-violence. This not only was beneficial to him but also for the kingdom which reaped the rewards of peace and prosperity.
In conclusion, in most of the cases it is better to adhere to one's belief system rather than compromise on it, as it prevents harmful effects in the form loss of one's individuality and loss of ability to make decisive decisions. Yet, in certain circumstances when the belief system is proven to be immoral it is better to eschew it in favour of a more scrupulous belief system.
- Evidence suggests that academic honor codes, which call for students to agree not to cheat in their academic endeavors and to notify a faculty member if they suspect that others have cheated, are far more successful than are other methods at deterring che70
- A recent study indicates that children living in the Himalayan mountain region in Nepal have lower levels of tooth decay than children living in suburban areas in the United States, despite the fact that people in the Himalayan mountain region in Nepal re50
- The following appeared in a health newsletter."A ten-year nationwide study of the effectiveness of wearing a helmet while bicycling indicates that ten years ago, approximately 35 percent of all bicyclists reported wearing helmets, whereas today that numbe50
- The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette."The population on Balmer Island increases to 100,000 during the summer months. T oreduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians, the town council ofBalmer Isl80
- The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner.Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central 80
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.0 out of 6
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 19 15
No. of Words: 455 350
No. of Characters: 2104 1500
No. of Different Words: 201 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.619 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.624 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.715 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 158 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 88 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 61 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 46 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 23.947 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 8.532 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.632 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.347 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.568 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.217 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5