We can learn much more from people whose views we share than from people whose views contradict our own.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take

We can learn much more from people whose views we share than from people whose views contradict our own.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Learning is a continuous process that is enriched by our contacts with other people. Generally we learn much more from people who contradict our viewpoints than those who confirm with ours. Even though there are certain exemptions such as disagreements which cause stress and commotion which hinder the learning process, in most of the cases the former argument holds true.

Firstly, when people with similar views exchange knowledge about a subject there is more scope for narrow perspective being developed. People more often than not develop entrenched views on a particular subject as there is no opposition. It is only when one meets people with contradicting ideas does one get to see the issue from a holistic perspective. This enhances our learning. For example, let us consider a small event from the life of king Ashoka from Mauryan dynasty. Ashoka who believed only in war and acquisition for peace and prosperity went to war with kalinga. After a prolonged war were lakhs of people were killed he finally won. Yet he achieved neither peace or prosperity. On the way back he gets to meet a Bodhisattva who explains to him the futility of his endeavors. He gets to understand that true meaning of life and happiness lies in nonviolence and peace. He only engaged in war it was inevitable to protect his people and never forced it. With this holistic perspective he becomes one of the greatest kings ever to walk on earth bringing unprecedented prosperity and peace to his people.

On the other hand, there are instances where debates based on mutual acrimony can lead great stress and commotion that hinders any form of learning. For example, one could see the exchanges between opposing parties in TV debates and parliament. There is no respect shown for the viewpoints of opposing person. There is mutual distrust and people exchange unprintable expletives. Such an environment is generally not conducive for learning. However, such cases are an exception rather than the norm. The success of any learning endeavor depends on inherent desire to learn from anyone with an open mind. Debates which are taken up with such an open attitude usually are more fruitful.

In conclusion, learning is more fruitful and holistic when one engages with person holding contradicting views. It is possible that under certain circumstances disagreement tends to hinder learning by creating stress and commotion, but it can be easily overcome with having an open attitude towards learning.

Don't put a big example. better to have 5 paragraphs. Try this pattern:

paragraph 1: introduction. Suppose we support side A.

paragraph 2: reason 1 + why reason 1 + example of reason 1 + a small conclusion (like advantages of reason 1 or comparisons if not reason 1).

paragraph 3: reason 2 + why reason 2 + example of reason 2 + a small conclusion (like advantages of reason 2 or comparisons if not reason 2).

paragraph 4: Admittedly, there are some advantages of side B. First, ... Second, .... However, there is no causation/relation.... I still support side A...

paragraph 5: conclusion -- reinforce the thesis.

---------------------------------