The luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life prevents people from developing into truly strong and independent individuals

As society experiences advancement in technology, one of the most striking results is that luxuries and conveniences have become more available and rampant than they were in the past, which has led to a continuous dependence of individuals on such provisions. It is on this premise that I strongly agree with the view of the speaker.
Admittedly, there has been a massive improvement in society with regards to man’s general well-being. It has become easier to venture into industries like agriculture, which in the earlier years needed more physical effort. Presently, the farmer from his office can control almost all that happens in his farmland using mechanized farming equipment. In the health sector, rather that speculate and prescribe drugs to patients, doctors can – through x-rays – examine patients with accuracy. In education, research has become less daunting, as one can surf volumes of materials on google and other search engines.
Also, living has become a more exciting experience. Is it not fascinating how one can configure his home to suit his every day needs? Rather than waking up to loud-sounding alarms, people now drift into consciousness as the tender touch of light rays penetrate their eye lids. Others would choose to secure their homes with smart security devices, which would allow them to decide on who gains access to their homes.
I concede to the benefits the luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life, but this does not negate the fact that individuals have become weaker and more dependent. First, an example of the scientific world and how everything once depended on the knowledge of formulas and operations shows this. In present days, students barely understand the need for these formulas but would rather depend on their calculators – where the formulas are embedded in – and with the push of a button, get the solutions to their problems.
Secondly, the dependence on machines for farming may be more problematic than it is advantageous. Gone are the days when people could spend hours tilling the soil, inspecting first hand what went on in their farm lands. The fact that these machines are not always efficient, or may develop some faults on continuous image makes this more disturbing. With such dependence on machines, in down times when the machines may need periodic checks and servicing, farming operations will cease, production rates will decline, and food supplies to the community will decline also.
Furthermore, people have become less aware of the environment in which they live. Before the advent of maps, people were conscious to create landmarks that could direct them to their destinations. But because phones and cars now have maps that could always be accessed, individuals always depend on their phones or vehicle-embedded maps for directions.
In sum, the luxuries and conveniences of contemporary life has helped in creating a more pleasant living experience for all and sundry, but it has made individuals to become weaker and more dependent.