Home >> .

As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate.

ForGG's picture

We have seen a golden age of technology. A quick reflection of a day reveals how the technology revolutionized out daily life. We usually take automobile to commute to the work or school. The mobile device has been a integrated part of our life, we connect with our friends and family by sending text message or interacting on the social websites. Wikipedia and the search engine offer great help when we are faced with problems in life. Each of these common occurrences could have been inconceivable at the turn of the 19th century.

The statement is trying to link the development of the technology to a reduction of people's ability to think for themselves. Nowadays, people do experience an increased dependence on the technology to solve the problem, thus spending less time thinking by themselves. For example, to solve some math problems including some kind of integration, instead of doing the calculation step by step, some students will chose to copy the problem into the search engine, hoping it will give the right answer. The social website and streaming service takes large amount of time in our daily life, these products are designed to make us addictive and spend as much as time on these websites. A lot of people choose to stay on these website even during the working hours, which is a great setback to the working productivity.

However, the effect of the technology highly depend on how we use it and the reliance on technology does not necessarily prelude the creativity that marks the human species. Some technology greatly frees people by providing more convenience and free time. For example, the advanced traffic network shortens the travel time from one place to another. If people can make full use of these efficiency provided by the technology, they can spend more time in the creative work like art and scientific research.

Using technology to solve our continually complicated problems as a human race is definitely a good thing. Our ability to think for ourselves isn't deteriorating, it's continuing to grow, as long as we know how to use it in right way.