Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likelyto benefit the greatest number of people.

Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely
to benefit the greatest number of people.

The writer suggests that research carried out by scientists or other researchers should be focused on research which would be beneficial to the greatest number of people, which I don’t totally agree with. Research should be carried out in all areas, although, such researches should be prioritized, with the ones affecting the greater amount of people on top of the list, followed by the those affecting lesser amount of people. The reasons for my notion would be given and expatiated in the paragraphs below. There are a lot of areas which greatly affect the lives of quite a large percentage of humans, foregoing carrying out research on these areas for less important areas definitely wouldn’t be a wise decision, especially with the present limited amount of available resources.

Take for example, a pharmaceutical company delegating its scientists to forego researches in certain areas of medicine, like immunology and virology which would help in the better understanding of serious health diseases such as cancer and HIV, which have claimed the lives of a lot of humans, both young and old, for less important areas, such as a rare immune disease affecting only a very little percentage of people. This decision would be unwise, because the amount of people that would benefit from such research would be a modicum compared to those that would benefit from researches carried out in more widespread diseases, which would adversely affect the company’s financial status, because of the possibility of it not making profit or not even regaining the money which was invested in carrying out such research.

In denouement, no research is unimportant, no matter how few the amount of people it would have effect on, so carrying out research in all areas even those with little benefits, shouldn’t be stopped. However, they shouldn’t be placed as top priority. So, the ones which would affect a greater amount of people should be placed as top priority and the less important ones can then be considered if there is more available resources to carry out such researches.

a pharmaceutical company delegating its scientists
a pharmaceutical company is delegating its scientists

Better like this:
para 1: introduction
para 2: argument 1
para 3: argument 2
para 4: argument 3
para 5: conclusion