Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student s field of study

Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.

Propositions to take up various courses outside the student’s primary domain in universities have sparked many arguments over time. As we look at the bigger picture of the recent embracement of inter-disciplinary courses and subjects by leading colleges and research groups, we ask ourselves this question – how fruitful will it be for students to study courses outside their major fields? Or should we confine ourselves to our domain, to one particular field of study and excel in that?

It is often said, when one removes the boundary of keeping oneself restricted to a particular field, the only boundary left is one’s imagination. And imagination runs wild. It is only with the deeper understanding of human anatomy and cognition that researchers were able to build human bots, in-depth knowledge of dynamics of balance in living beings that enabled MIT researchers to build the four-legged robot animal that never lost its stability, however it was hit. Would these have been possible without juxtaposing various disciplines and amalgamating them into one unified design? Or how will researches publish their findings without the skills of technical writing? And how will engineers develop smarter solutions to problems without understanding what the current market demands. This requires a deeper understanding of subjects other than one’s field. Hence, a singular solution will not be as enthralling as a solution which encompasses a broader and exhaustive clarification.

It will be, thus, wiser on engineers’ part to take up language and technical writing courses or understand the history of technological development, mathematicians to have a wider knowledge of the symmetry that nature holds, and historians and literary researchers to get accustomed to technologies and recent developments. Inter-disciplinary courses have led to few amazing outcomes – it has made people visualize the importance and the necessity of incorporation of digital technology in museums, merging arts with science, mathematics with music, and architecture with nature. Google project nGrams and Olympic stadium The Bird’s Nest are few of the wonders that amalgamation of disciplines gave to the world.

Breaking of boundaries and researching into newer sphere’s, apart from one’s one subject, have led to the evolution of TED – technology, entertainment and design. It highlights how deviation from main field of study by budding innovators or thinkers, and adding a touch of variety and spicing it up a little has changed the way they viewed the subject. Pursuing other subjects will not only make us further knowledgeable about the greater aspects of life, it will help us appreciate the little connections and holes that we have missed during our studies, as no subject is comprehensive on its own. Taking up courses such as games and self – development will help us build ourselves both physically and mentally. It might, on the other hand, provide a slight relief from the monotony of the subjects we are pursuing.

One might argue that forcing students to take up variety of courses will inherently violate the very fundamentals of university education-specialization and streamlining. Every university requires its students to focus and pursue one specific subject and few related topics. The whole point of college educations falls apart when one is required to take up courses which are not necessarily required. One of the compelling reason is that it pressurizes the student. It acts as an extra burden and may divert concentration. With a gigantic syllabus, time crunch and impossible deadlines, extra subjects, along with their labs and projects, will undoubtedly hinder students from focussing. This might lead to in-efficient results, poor researches and seemingly bored students.

The only possible solution to this pressing problem is to make students aware of the benefits of inter-disciplinary courses and let them decide and choose which subjects will be beneficial in the long run, instead of forcing them to. This will not only create a sense of independence and self- responsibility, it might actually boost the enthusiasm the students invest in studies.