It is generally agreed that society benefits from the work of its members Compare the contributions of artists with the contributions of scientists to society Which contribution is more valued by society

It is generally agreed that society benefits from the work of its members. Compare the contributions of artists with the contributions of scientists to society. Which contribution is more valued by society?

While it is generally agreed that a mix of professionals is required for the proper functioning of society, it is, nevertheless, true that the work of some of them, such as scientists, is usually more valued than that of other individuals, for example, artists. However, stereotypes may not always match real life situations.

First of all, it can be argued that most artists such as musicians, painters or actors make a living by crafting a product or service whose primary function is to entertain us rather than satisfy our basic needs. These individuals often bear an unstable income as their produce usually fetches a price which varies according to the whims of buyers. As such, many parents believe that they are not the best role models for their offspring, wrongly influencing them to adopt an insecure career path. In short, artists usually contribute to a waste of scarce resources.

On the other hand, scientists are often praised for the innovative solutions and products which they bestow upon society. While some of them pioneered the discovery of vaccines against deadly diseases, others invented gadgets such as mobile phones or vacuum cleaners which ultimately revolutionized our lives. As these advances are usually widely available, they bear a positive impact on most members of society.

Nevertheless, exceptions exist in every field. For instance, atomic bombs or biological weapons have wreaked havoc in many countries and brought shame to the scientific community. Other processes such as cosmetic surgery benefit a few and amount to a waste of resources which could have been better utilized to tackle more pressing issues such as poverty in developing nations. As demonstrated, some reckless or self-fish scientists can prove to be no better than those unsuccessful artists.

Conversely, famous artists such as sportsmen or actors often lead to the creation of jobs such as managers, producers or coaches, thus, spurring the economic development of their country. Others can prompt moral debates or ideas which may eventually benefit mankind. This is true of science-fiction movies featuring machines which are able to replicate human feats such as holding an intellectual conversation. Though this is currently unfeasible, artists such as producers allow us to dream and push the boundary of technology further.

To conclude, most people tend to show greater recognition to the work of scientists as compared to artists. Nonetheless, they subconsciously appreciate the latter’s contribution despite not voicing this opinion.

It is on top list:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/ielts