Modern forms of communication such as email and messaging have reduced the amount of time people spend seeing their friends. This has had a negative effect on their social lives.What extent do you agree or disagree? Give reasons for your answer and includ

Essay topics: Modern forms of communication such as email and messaging have reduced the amount of time people spend seeing their friends. This has had a negative effect on their social lives.

What extent do you agree or disagree?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

eddysuaib's picture

Electronic messaging and email have changed our social lives and the way we communicate with our friends. However, it is not at all certain that our social lives are worse as a result. In many ways, they are better.

In the past, people communicated by letter or by phone. They used to meet and see each other only when they had time. Because people led busy lives, often they did not have any communication with some of their friends for months. As a consequence, their relationship suffered.

Nowadays, we can be in constant contact with all our friends using social website and instant messaging without even leaving our rooms. As a result, our social relationships are much closer. For example, in my case I spend about an hour chatting to friends from all over the world everyday on my computer. I know how they are, what they are thinking and what they are doing. In the past this was not possible and I might have communicated with some of these friends only once or twice a year.

I think it is also difficult to argue that modern forms of communication have reduced the amount people see each other. In my experience, the amount people go out and meet each other has increased. It has become easier to organize parties, and young people especially are able to introduce their friends to each other and in this way increase their social circle.

In conclusion, I disagree entirely statement in the question and firmly believe that modern communications have greatly improved people’s social lives.