Some people believe that a college or university education should be available to all students. Others believe that higher education should be available only to good students.Discuss these views. Which view do you agree with? Explain why

Essay topics: Some people believe that a college or university education should be available to all students. Others believe that higher education should be available only to good students.
Discuss these views. Which view do you agree with? Explain why

Challenger's picture

Today large amount of people with different level of knowledge and abilities tend to obtain high education. According to one camp, everyone could have a chance to get university degree. According to other, only good students should be acceptable to universities. Both sides will be discussed before a well-reasoned conclusion is found.

First it is claimed that, all students should have a chance to study at the university. The cause of this lies in quite a number of people who have very good personalities and abilities to learn, although they didn't do well at school. These people that are patient and persistent would acquire more opportunities to do their best at universities, than those who are talented but lazy. For example, some adolescents might get high grades due to their parents who constantly make them study and help to do most of their homework in some cases. This example shows clearly, that some teenagers might be good at school, but college or university could demonstrate the opposite results. Therefore, good marks at school shouldn't be considered as the main indicator of selection for the study at the college, and all student could be given the opportunity to inter the university.

However, many argue that high education should be available only for good students. In my opinion this appears rather as a discrimination against students, cause this hamper bad students, but which strenuously tend to be educated, in progress, and as a result reduces the number of potentially educated people to some extent. Therefore, I admit that such belief rather inadequate as it has many drawbacks.

In conclusion, after hashing out the pros and cons of these two points of view, it is felt that university education should be available for all students including bad ones that could be expelled if they would do poor, but at least they should be given a chance to try.