The chart below shows the percentage of households in owned and rented accommodation in England and Wales between 1918 and 2011.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

justtheanh's picture

The provided chart compares data about the proportion of owned and rented houses in England and Wales from 1918 to 2011.

Overall, the figure for owned households experienced a significant increase while that of rented households decreased dramatically throughout the period. Notably, the two sectors both accounted for 50% of the market in 1971.

As can be seen from the illustration, it is clearly evident that before 1971 households in owned accommodation sector dominate the market. In 1918, the percentage of owned households registered just under 80%, nearly four times higher than that of rented households. The figure, however, declined gradually in the following years to equally share the market with rented accommodation in 1971. On the contrary, the proportion of rented houses almost doubled from 1918 to 1971 from just under 25% to 50% of the market.

After 1971, the market witnessed a considerable rise in the number of households owned accommodation, peaking at roughly 70% in 2001. Meanwhile, the market share of households rented accommodation continued to go down gradually albeit with a slight gain in 2011.