The diagram below shows how geothermal energy is used to produce electricity Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant

The diagram below shows how geothermal energy is used to produce electricity. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.

The diagram describes the process when electricity is produced by geothermal energy.

Overall, there are five steps in the production of electricity by geothermal energy, starting from pumping down cold water and ending by pumping up hot waster in a condenser.

In the first step, cold water is going down 4.5 km underground through the injection well. then, the water is injected into the geothermal zone, where hot rocks alter the cold water into hot as it passes through the Earth. Once the water has been heated up, it enters the production well and is then pumped up to the ground in a condenser.

The last two stages are carried out above water at the power plant. Firstly, the hot water produces steam in the condenser. In the next step, the steam powers the turbine which makes it turn. Finally, the turbine powers the generator, which produces the electricity. The latter is transferred into electric grid via power lines.