The table below shows the proportion of different categories of families living in poverty in Australia in 1999

The table below shows the proportion of different categories of families living in poverty in Australia in 1999.

The table compares the percentage of Australian inhabitants from 6 types of families living in poverty in 1999.
Overall, poverty families with only one parent accounted for the highest proportion, while the aged couple made up for the lower percentage than any of the other groups.
In the year 1999, 11% of Australians or 1837000 people were living in poverty. Single households (only one parent or no kids) were poorer than the others, with the figures were 21% and 19% of the total population in Australia, respectively. significantly, there were 933000 people in "couple with children" families faced this difficulty but the percentage was quite low, at 12%, which was nearly double that of the other type of couple household (7%).
It is clear that elderly people were not under as much pressure of poverty as other types of people, with only 4% for single aged Australians and 6% for people in couples.