Many people spend a lot of money on clothes, haircuts, and beauty products to enhance their appearance. Some people think that it is a good way to spend money, while others think that there is a better way to spend it. Discuss both views and give your opi

Many people spend a lot of money on clothes, haircuts, and beauty products to enhance their appearance. Some people think that it is a good way to spend money, while others think that there is a better way to spend it. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

For many people, expenditures related to their appearance, constitute a significant portion of their monthly costs. They pay a lot of money just to improve the way that they look. This group of people very often receive harsh criticism from others who believe that while some human beings are starving to death in some areas of the world, spending money to enhance one's appearance is irresponsible. In this essay these opposing attitudes will be discussed.

On the one hand, instead of spending money in expensive beauty salons, or for purchasing overly expensive beauty products, one can invest on more important matters. Improving one's own nutrition, buying an informative book, purchasing a music instrument or going on a trip are only a few examples of many better ways to spend money for one's own pleasure. Alternatively, this money can be put to help other people who are in desperate need of welfare from their wealthier fellow humans. No real human being can spend too much money on a haircut when some other person is dying because of not having clean water or enough food.

On the other hand, for many people, spending money to improve their appearance elevates their confidence and helps them to have a better feeling about themselves. It can also affect the way that others evaluate an individual. A job interview and the way that a job seeker shows up in the interview can be a good example of this case. That's why almost everyone needs to set aside some money for personal grooming and for having an acceptable appearance. As a matter of fact, the only people who do not spend anything on their appearance are isolated monks or hippies.

In conclusion, when it comes to external beauty and outward appearance, overspending is neither wise nor responsible. However a reasonable level of attention and consequently spending is necessary for people in order to have a good feeling about themselves and also be accepted in the society.