Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programs(for example working for a charity, improving the neighborhood or teaching sports to younger children).To what extent do you agree or disagree ?

Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programs(for example working for a charity, improving the neighborhood or teaching sports to younger children).
To what extent do you agree or disagree ?

Besides studying many subjects in class, students also should participate in some extra activities. While some people claim that students must join unpaid community service as a compulsory of their high school programs, others think that it should be optional. In my opinion, I strongly agree with the former idea.

Admittedly, it is undeniable that taking part in community helping activities could affect negatively to students studies. Because of focusing on these activities, they become to neglect their studies and it can lead to the poor result. Ironically, by no means do students have that problem if they arrange their timetable reasonably. Moreover, by dint of community activities, students can enhance non only their time management skill but also their soft skills such as communication, team working… For example, when my cousin was at high school, he used to be shy and he could not control his schedule. However, after joining some activities as helping old people in hospital or collecting old clothes for charities, he became more active, agile and confident.

On the other hand, it is believed that partaking in unpaid social services also deteriorate student’s recreation as sport, music… Consequently, they do not have time to relax and refresh their mind. Nevertheless, many students now usually waste their time to play online games or chat on social networks. In addition, by virtue of assisting community, they will feel at ease and happy, so it is good for their mind. For instance, after my younger brother participates in charity work, he seems to be more joyful and glad.

In summary, unpaid community activities should be encouraged and developed in high school as required sections, which could give students opportunities to be more creative and responsible.